Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac friends. On this Late 2015 iMac 5K w/ Monterey latest (iMac's firmware hav all been updated), I've reset he SMC and NVRAM/PRAM, I've reset the Bluetooth using Terminal, I've diagnosed it with the built-in Hardware Diagnostics which says everything is ok but does the screenshot indicate the Bluetooth hardware is broken or is this still a software issue?

How can the Bluetooth module (hardware) be revived (a third-party app is ok) if it's conked out/given up its ghost? If it's still just software, if you could recommend more methods that'd be amazing, it's tough using our amazing Macs with regular wire PC keyboard (Command button the Windows key is not in a good position for undo-cut-copy-paster and not media keys) and wired PC mouse (without the gestures).

Thank you. Have a blessed sunday.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 4.22.54 AM.png

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What I'd try is this:
1. Go to your home/library/preferences folder
2. Locate the bluetooth pref files (they begin with "com.apple.bluetooth" -- I see 2 of them)
3. Move these to the trash but DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH YET
4. Reboot
5. When you get to the finder, NOW empty the trash.

Now go to the bluetooth preference pane and see if it will open for you.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 1.14.41 PM.png
Ok Thanks trying that, right. On High Sierra (the Mac is a triple boot system in one storage) the most stable macOS ever made, it look like the one above. I wonder if this if it's hardware or software. Has the Bluetooth module itself died? Though macOS seems to still be detecting it but I'll try that plist now, this Bluetooth (and USB mounting) issues started with w/ Big Sur then escalated to Monterey (I wonder if Big Sur & Monterey was putting too much votlage and/or current to the Bluetooth hardware? r those two OSes are so overtly obsessed with power saving, it may not be giving enough power to the Bluetooth module as they have encountered: Bluetooth Died with update to MacOS Ventura and Bluetooth Controller will Not Power Back On) and for some it's still not fixed in Ventura.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.