Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Longstaffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Hi,

New to this, last night I’ve plugged my iPhone XS into a portable charger, all was well and it was charging away. 20 mins on the charger I’ve returned to find the phone has been bricked. Totally unresponsive. I’ve tried the volume up, down, lock button reset but nothing. After being on chat with apple there was no conclusive reason given for this.

I’ve decided I’m going to try and replace the battery to see if that is the culprit however on opening my phone I’ve noticed the back of the screen film looking bubbled (see photo).

2 questions:

1 does this issue sound like a possible battery problem? Could there be something else like a motherboard that could have caused this unresponsiveness?

2 does this bubbled screen film look concerning?

Many thanks
64B33DDA-74CB-4760-A042-DEE6FE367909.jpeg
64B33DDA-74CB-4760-A042-DEE6FE367909.jpeg

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I think the screen bubbles could be normal (I found an image from an iFixit teardown, and there are bubbles in the top-right corner) . It is quite possible the charger could have caused damage to the logic board.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-16 8.41.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-16 8.41.50 AM.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 59

Longstaffers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Ah, thank you for the image - I am guessing the logic board replacement is a little bit more concerning than just a battery?

Does replacing the logic board require the reprogramming of the phone and all that guff?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

mrfunnypenguin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
Yes, the front facing camera, and other systems for Face ID are paired with the logic board. Apple generally does not replace logic boards in iPhones. They replace the whole unit. But if it is just the battery, it should not require a re-programming, unless it is not repaired by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. I would not recommend getting it serviced by a third party repair shop, because if Apple discovers that someone other than themselves or an AASP they will refuse to service the phone.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Without diagnosing the charging circuit, it's impossible to tell. To do so, you need a meter and microscope.

Better to take it to a repair shop rather than randomly replacing parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.