Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Curious if anyone knows. Doubt it but at least I tried. I did email them but they could not tell me :( We already have normal Fiber I guess you could call it. 300 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 1 Gbps (1000Mbps) tiers currently.

No I doubt I will get the higher 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps tier but nice to know the option is there for the future or if the price goes down for those tiers.

ATT.jpg

Reactions: xraydoc

elvisimprsntr

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2013
Florida
Probably. It will take awhile for the contractor to bury conduit and hand holes.

The ATT installers don’t bury the fiber if it’s above ground. They hire someone else to bury the fiber after install, who do the bare minimum and will likely just run the fiber through your shrubs for the landscapers to cut with their weed whackers or hedge trimmers. I dug a trench and ran flexible electrical conduit from the hand hole to the point of entry into my house. All my neighbors didn’t and had to have new fiber run several times.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Probably. It will take awhile for the contractor to bury conduit and hand holes.

The ATT installers don’t bury the fiber if it’s above ground. They hire someone else to bury the fiber after install, who do the bare minimum and will likely just run the fiber through your shrubs for the landscapers to cut with their weed whackers or hedge trimmers. I dug a trench and ran flexible electrical conduit from the hand hole to the point of entry into my house. All my neighbors didn’t and had to have new fiber run several times.

We already have the 300 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 1Gbps tier Fiber service installed for years ago.

They told me over email this:

Hi (my name),

There shouldn’t be any down time. They don’t shut down the existing network. They place the infrastructure, splice at a later date and it is available for purchase 8-12 weeks after placement.

Does that help any ?

Hopefully it is true. That way it won't matter.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Our Fiber went down.

Hope to see new speed tiers once it comes back up or a few weeks after!

Thankfully we have backup internet. Slow but it works.

So I guess they ran into other issues sense they said it would not go down. Weird.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Our Fiber went down.

Hope to see new speed tiers once it comes back up or a few weeks after!

Thankfully we have backup internet. Slow but it works.

So I guess they ran into other issues sense they said it would not go down. Weird.

Well it could happen with car accident for wild small animal to crew through cables, a million reasons why it went down! Even a natural disaster could affect network centers too!

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Curious if anyone knows. Doubt it but at least I tried. I did email them but they could not tell me :( We already have normal Fiber I guess you could call it. 300 Mbps, 500 Mbps and 1 Gbps (1000Mbps) tiers currently.

No I doubt I will get the higher 2 Gbps or 5 Gbps tier but nice to know the option is there for the future or if the price goes down for those tiers.

View attachment 2143270

Before you get did your neighbors get the same email? Sometime some slick bad hackers use that fishing attack!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.