Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apthsys14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
Considering my workflow, would the M2 MacBook Air 15" suffice, or should I go ahead and just go with a M2/M3 MacBook Pro 16"?

Right now, I'm on a MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016. I use it for basic work tasks that a 15" Air can handle, but I also use it for my photography and, more recently, light 1440p video editing. I leave the more demanding work like color grading and 4K footage for my desktop. I also have a medium-sized Unity project I've been working on that is 2D but has some 3D components (3D assets in a 2D game).

More recently, I've been traveling more and would like to get more things done on my laptop. I've been looking to upgrade to Apple Silicon, but my preferred setup doesn't exist. My ideal display size is 15" and I prefer the thin form factor of the MacBook Air 15". I find the thickness of the current MacBook Pros somewhat uncomfortable on my wrists for some reason.

My workflow isn't that heavy but I can see it needing a Pro model soon. Additionally, the thing that really pushes me to the MacBook Pro is the display. My desktop has a 240hz OLED and it has ruined sub 120hz displays for me. Should I just bite the bullet and go for the heavier and bulkier (to me) Pro 16"?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It all depends and you need to see dealbreakers here.
Air can not drive 2 screens, and will choke a little bit with external 4K+if you run something extensive.
On the other hand, MacBook Pro will not notice it.
If this is not a dealbreaker then i would go for Air or better wait for m3 Air.

apthsys14

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2023
It all depends and you need to see dealbreakers here.
Air can not drive 2 screens, and will choke a little bit with external 4K+if you run something extensive.
On the other hand, MacBook Pro will not notice it.
If this is not a dealbreaker then i would go for Air or better wait for m3 Air.
The external display capability is not a deal breaker for me since I'll be on my workstation when at home. The MacBook will strictly be used to get some work done while traveling.

I guess the only consideration I'm unsure of is if the M2 Air will hold up as my video editing gets more involved (likely upgrading my camera equipment next year). Color grading, Log footage, LUTS, etc. might be a bit much without active cooling.

The display could be a deal breaker, but I suppose I can get used to the non Pro motion display.

davedude

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
You already said it yourself. Sub-120hz is a deal breaker.
Go with the 14" if portability is a concern. The 14" when discounted is a much better bargain than the 15" anyway.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
I would say if you can afford it to go for the Pro simply because at least for me, that would add at least another two years to the life of the machine.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I guess the only consideration I'm unsure of is if the M2 Air will hold up as my video editing gets more involved (likely upgrading my camera equipment next year). Color grading, Log footage, LUTS, etc. might be a bit much without active cooling.
Air does perfectly fine until up to 3 LUTs and 3 layers but no more than 5 in total. If more then it will be choppy when compared to MBP.

For me this is fine. So it does good in 4K video edits as long as you don't get carried away with heavy LUTs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.