Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im using timemachine (TM) and everytime i wish to delete big files, i open TM and delete the backedup file too. Im doing this in order not to leave deleted files in the backup, so i can reduce the space in the drive that is used by TM. Pretty frustrating when doing it with many files... so i wonder is this really necessary or does TM delete those deleted files and cleans them by itself?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I know that older backups are deleted when theres not enough space. But im referring to files.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Im using timemachine (TM) and everytime i wish to delete big files, i open TM and delete the backedup file too. Im doing this in order not to leave deleted files in the backup,
That sort of defeats the purpose of TM backups. If you decide that you've deleted something from your Mac that you subsequently decide that you need it, you can't get it back from TM if you've deleted it from the TM backup.

If you delete something from your Mac, TM does not delete it from its backups. Again, that would defeat the object of having a TM backup.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Sound like you are after some cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner, rather then Time Machine.....?
Something that stays the same as your current system.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Dave and Apple, I understand what you mean and thanks for the info.
I guess I’m looking for freeing up space, simply because I’m full-up of data!

myfranco

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2019
Istanbul
Dave and Apple, I understand what you mean and thanks for the info.
I guess I’m looking for freeing up space, simply because I’m full-up of data!
I have 1TB Hard attached to Mini 2018 and I created 2 partitions, 500GB each. One partition is for torrents, the other is TM. I don't care if there is any space or not because older ones are deleted. What you're trying to do is not practical to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.