Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
Now that we've seen that Apple has integrated their fingerprint scanner into the home button, does this mean the button is here to stay? For years, there have been discussions calling for Apple to abandon the physical home button... but now that there are rumors of Touch ID making its way onto the iPad, we might see the home button stay for good. Also, the home button and it's size, will it mean the bezels stay unchanged, as well? Compared to flagship android's, the iPhone has some ridiculously large bezels.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I've wondered about this briefly, too. Yes, it does seem that the home button will remain, but not necessarily as a physical button. They could do a slick, fully capacitive button for the 6. The size, unfortunately, will have to remain, as I can't see another way for them to collect or scan fingerprints without having a large surface. So that means the bottom bezel will likely stay larger.

bjcskier

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
In theory they could do touch ID on a screen or something...Doesn't necessarily need to be in the home button.

I think that would be better...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.