Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I know iPhone comes with easy access default to Siri by blurbing "hey siri." Does turning it off give you any security benefit? I mean, it won't stop Apple from listening and collecting data from my device by turning it off. Any benefit to leaving voice activation off?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I know iPhone comes with easy access default to Siri by blurbing "hey siri." Does turning it off give you any security benefit? I mean, it won't stop Apple from listening and collecting data from my device by turning it off. Any benefit to leaving voice activation off?
It will probably help with battery life leaving it off.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I doubt there’s a benefit in security but there might be a benefit of turning off listening for the hey Siri trigger which you can do in the Siri settings.

Note: you can also request to have Siri information from your device deleted on Apple’s servers from those settings.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Google already knows your life inside out, and you are worried about Siri? 😅

I have it turned off because 1) I don't want it accidently turning on, 2) to save resources, and 3) I don't use it.

Reactions: Fred Zed

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
There is no benefit to battery life to turning off Siri. That’s handled by the SoC and has been ultra lower power for generations now.

FMRWin10Boy

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2021
I guess the thing that concerns me the most with Siri, is giving Apple permission to listen for the catch phras: “hey Siri.” I’ve had conversations with friends about traveling to such and such location and within hours Facebook/Instagram are advertising content around such location. Not sure if turning off Siri‘s listening ear prevents that or not but it’s unnerving.

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I guess the thing that concerns me the most with Siri, is giving Apple permission to listen for the catch phras: “hey Siri.” I’ve had conversations with friends about traveling to such and such location and within hours Facebook/Instagram are advertising content around such location. Not sure if turning off Siri‘s listening ear prevents that or not but it’s unnerving.
Even with Siri off, how do you know Apple isn't tracking you via other means - Find My, etc.? How do you know Google isn't tracking you through cell phone triangulation? In this day and age, only basic privacy can be expected to protect you from hackers, noisy individuals/stalkers/criminals, etc. Your lifestyle habits are worth more to corporations than any phone.

If you want most privacy, don't use any internet or cell phone device.

• Love
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Siri is designed to intuitively help you achieve your goals and tasks. Turning it off helps nobody.

For me it has gotten worse with iOS 15. Word recognition is not what it used to be hence I can understand why one would not want to use it anymore.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I would put that down to data mining of these platforms rather than Siri.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.