Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Is an iPad Mini 5 sold from Verizon the same as one sold by Apple? In the past Verizon seems to have disabled embedded Apple SIMs (I wasn’t aware of that) and I’ll return the one I just got if it’s been tampered with by them in any way. When I go to add a cellular plan it doesn’t give me a list of carriers like it did before on my last Pro, it just says ‘Other’, so I figured I’d ask.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is an iPad Mini 5 sold from Verizon the same as one sold by Apple? In the past Verizon seems to have disabled embedded Apple SIMs (I wasn’t aware of that) and I’ll return the one I just got if it’s been tampered with by them in any way. When I go to add a cellular plan it doesn’t give me a list of carriers like it did before on my last Pro, it just says ‘Other’, so I figured I’d ask.
Even with iPads that have been unlocked, I don't recall seeing a full listing of carriers. If that is important to you, don't buy from Verizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: rui no onna

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Even with iPads that has been unlocked, I don't recall seeing a full listing of carriers. If that is important to you, don't buy from Verizon.
On the 2018 Pro that I had before it went belly-up, I could go to Add a Plan and it would show me AT&T, T-Mobile, GigSky, etc., and I could pick a plan right from the Settings screen. I would have my physical Verizon SIM and I could pick another plan from the eSIM screen if I wanted one. That’s missing now in this Mini from Verizon.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
On the 2018 Pro that I had before it went belly-up, I could go to Add a Plan and it would show me AT&T, T-Mobile, GigSky, etc., and I could pick a plan right from the Settings screen. I would have my physical Verizon SIM and I could pick another plan from the eSIM screen if I wanted one. That’s missing now in this Mini from Verizon.
You can thank Verizon for gimping the options. The first mini 5 I bought from Verizon and ended up selling it because of the cellular gimping. I bought the next one from Apple and was much happier.

Last edited:

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
You can thank Verizon for gimping the options. The first mini 5 I bought from Version and ended up selling it because of the cellular gimping. I bought the next one from Apple and was much happier.
So it’s true? This sucks. It’s 2021 and they’re still pulling this crap. Well, it’s going right back then, I’d rather wait to replace my broken iPad than settle for a gimped one. Best part is paying a restocking fee for their tampering.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Surprised Apple allows this

Apple ships them that way. The Sprint and AT&T iPads have been similarly restricted.

If the box shows AT&T, Verizon or Sprint instead of Wi-Fi + Cellular, then it's gimped as far as carrier visibility rules. The Nano SIM card slot is unlocked so you can put in any working SIM with active service and it will work. You just can't sign up for other carriers' plans via Settings - Cellular.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.