Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Does Yosemite boot quicker that Mavericks? I know it is early beta, but what do you all think?

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Seemed slightly slower for me on my late '13 rmbp, but at this point it's pretty academic since it's such an early preview.

You can't really make an assessment that's remotely useful or worth comparing until we get to / close to a GM release. Same goes for things like battery life etc, until we get close data / comparison is useless.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
No, not yet

Left my machine running on Yosemite since installing the day it came out, seems like Yosemite is doing some housecleaning itself, the more I rebooted, the quicker it gets. But not based on science of-course.

~ Cheers

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Isn't it all about how people measure 'user experience' with a new OS, regardless dp, beta or gm?

Boot time for me is irrelevant because it is something I so seldom do in real life
And when I do, the difference of a few seconds here and there is inconsequential

Now, the overall speed of the UI, lag times, animation stuttering, scrolling issues, and such, these would be of interest and would affect the "user experience" for me

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Boot time for me is irrelevant because it is something I so seldom do in real life
And when I do, the difference of a few seconds here and there is inconsequential

Now, the overall speed of the UI, lag times, animation stuttering, scrolling issues, and such, these would be of interest and would affect the "user experience" for me

[+1] I should have be more precise by adding ".. as part of user experience"!

~ Cheers

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It's hard to do the benchmark here ...

My iMac has always booted within 15 seconds, and my MacBook Pro has always taken more than 5 minutes ... :-/

One thing you can do to help is to encrypt your HD with FileVault, which means that instead of waiting one minute to go to the login screen, it will pop up right on start. So there's no chance that you go and make a coffee and when you come back 5 minutes later you still have to login and wait another minute or two.

I've been impressed with FileVault in Yosemite. I boot up my computer, and 1-2 seconds later I see my wallpaper, with a blur on top. It's very nice. Before that it was just a light gray screen.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Yep, it's taking a bit longer so far.

It was ~11sec, now it's ~18sec on MBA.

PS. I'am talking about boot times, not reboot, obviously.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
it is maybe 2-3 seconds slower across my machines right now. That could change for the better or worse by the time GM hits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.