Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Hello!

I was wondering if your iPad gets hot.
My Classic 9 gen gets warm a little bit. How does the M1 performs when editing pdfs or doing note-taking?

And battery-wise, are you satisfied?

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
No m1 iPad experience, but multiple other iPad. I personally have not gotten my iPad mini 6 (a15) to heat up yet. I did get my iPad gen6 (a10) to get pretty darn hot, but it didn't throttle I don't think. I was in full summer sun, so full brightness, plugged in, split view work's Remote Desktop with other part of split view a spreadsheet, PIP Netflix, and slide over open using messaging app. My iPad Air gen 1 (a7) got hot with video on full brightness or when plugged in while using google sheets. iPad mini 2 (a7?) didn't get hot.

That said, when I bought my Mini the iPad Air m1 demo at the store was on FIRE and the brightness was limited because of this.

Reactions: RaphaZ

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
No m1 iPad experience, but multiple other iPad. I personally have not gotten my iPad mini 6 (a15) to heat up yet. I did get my iPad gen6 (a10) to get pretty darn hot, but it didn't throttle I don't think. I was in full summer sun, so full brightness, plugged in, split view work's Remote Desktop with other part of split view a spreadsheet, PIP Netflix, and slide over open using messaging app. My iPad Air gen 1 (a7) got hot with video on full brightness or when plugged in while using google sheets. iPad mini 2 (a7?) didn't get hot.

That said, when I bought my Mini the iPad Air m1 demo at the store was on FIRE and the brightness was limited because of this.
Thank you for sharing.
My iPad gets slightly warmer when editing pdfs or note taking (while on wi-fi with more windows open) on the bottom, more precisely on the right-side. I should say that I have the Pencil turned on on these occasions. Is it probably the Bluetooth connection?

I can't say, however, that it gets HOT. It doesn't. But makes me think if I can work like this for hours straight.

Reactions: culo77

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I roll sans case, so my iPads are always naked. My wife has the gen 9 with a case I will ask her if it gets warm, she rarely uses the pencil but plays games with PIP video playing in the corner.

I am curious to hear others experiences.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
I roll sans case, so my iPads are always naked. My wife has the gen 9 with a case I will ask her if it gets warm, she rarely uses the pencil but plays games with PIP video playing in the corner.

I am curious to hear others experiences.
Thank you!
Well, I do use a silicone case, just in the rear. I have to test it without the case to be honest.

1677084294907.jpeg

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Note, screen brightness contributes to temps as well. I usually have brightness at 0-15% so mine runs pretty cool unless I'm gaming or ambient temps are really high (SoCal summers).

I tend to get 12+ hours battery life with my typical usage and settings so I'm fairly content.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Note, screen brightness contributes to temps as well. I usually have brightness at 0-15% so mine runs pretty cool unless I'm gaming or ambient temps are really high (SoCal summers).

I tend to get 12+ hours battery life with my typical usage and settings so I'm fairly content.
Thanks! Don’t you feel tired of reading with that level of brightness?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks! Don’t you feel tired of reading with that level of brightness?

Nope. Low brightness feels more comfortable for me.

Anytime I use my family members' iPads or iPhones, I feel like my eyeballs are burning due to the high brightness.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
One question also can refer to the utilization of the Apple Pencil, or a bluetooth stylus... Does that utilization warms the tablet?

Rainbow Apple

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2023
I was wondering if your iPad gets hot.
Perhapes you're asking the wrong question. What's important isen't if the iPad gets hot, per sy. Getting hot just means working hard and venting the heat. What's important is the profence, and how prone the iPad is to slowing down when it gets hot.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Mine only does when playing games. And the M1 less so than the previous A12Z I had when playing Civ 6 for example

warm weather + high brightness will make it heat up too

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Perhapes you're asking the wrong question. What's important isen't if the iPad gets hot, per sy. Getting hot just means working hard and venting the heat. What's important is the profence, and how prone the iPad is to slowing down when it gets hot.
No, it does not slows down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.