Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloneofsnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Just got the new iPad Air a few months ago and I gotta say, the Touch ID sucks. When it's in portrait mode, it usually works using my right hand's finger. I'd say 80%? But when it's on landscape mode, it almost never work using my left hand's finger.

Does anyone else have similar problem? I'm wondering if I have a defective iPad.

mvdw84

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Canada
Occasional hiccups, but it's on both my work Mini and personal Air - it did help to rescan my finger though!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just got the new iPad Air a few months ago and I gotta say, the Touch ID sucks. When it's in portrait mode, it usually works using my right hand's finger. I'd say 80%? But when it's on landscape mode, it almost never work using my left hand's finger.

Does anyone else have similar problem? I'm wondering if I have a defective iPad.

I've got the same issue on the mini 6 and Air 4.

Right hand finger works 99% of the time.

Left hand fingers fail 99% of the time even after numerous rescans.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
No issue here with Touch ID on an Air 5 with either hand. If you only have 2 fingers registered, try adding each of those fingers again as 2 new fingers.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Sounds like maybe you could be placing your fingers differently when in the other orientation. To add to the previous post, try adding your fingers in portrait mode, and then add them again in landscape mode.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
no problem here.. unlike the Face ID on my iPhone 13 that half the time I have to enter the password

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.