Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snsd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
CA
My MBP has static noise/crackling sound near the left speaker during startup. It's only audible when I put my ear next to the keyboard. And it only happens after I login with my password, when the loading bar is about to reach 50%. (I have Filevault turned on and its running 10.2.2 if that matters.)

Just curious if anyone's nTB MBP has the same issue like mine.

vasatrya

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
My MBP has static noise/crackling sound near the left speaker during startup. It's only audible when I put my ear next to the keyboard. And it only happens after I login with my password, when the loading bar is about to reach 50%. (I have Filevault turned on and its running 10.2.2 if that matters.)

I hear a crackling/static noise every hour or so if I'm on my laptop, whether or not I'm playing music. It's like a quick *pop* not too loud, but loud enough for me to notice..add it to the list of problems. I bought my macbook new but it had 8 charge cycles on it.

I have a base nTB
[doublepost=1483742397][/doublepost]Just FYI, i found this thread...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2016-macbook-pro-problem.2022709/

probably what you're talking about

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I hear a crackling/static noise every hour or so if I'm on my laptop, whether or not I'm playing music. It's like a quick *pop* not too loud, but loud enough for me to notice..add it to the list of problems. I bought my macbook new but it had 8 charge cycles on it.

I have a base nTB

No pops or crackles ever. Return it!

Reactions: vasatrya

justinus

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017

Is this the sound you're referring to? I have Filevault enabled, too. I thought it was the keyboard backlight triggering the discharge, but it may be the decryption process...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/15-2016-mbp-speaker-crackling.2015467/page-8#post-24334757

justinus

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
I don't have FileVault activated and the pop sound is there.
Thanks for the info! I'm not suggesting FileVault is the only trigger, I just noticed that for mine the "pop" happens before the keyboard backlight activates. It could very well be any process that causes a voltage spike to trigger the discharge/"pop."

Last edited:

santicpo

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for the info! I'm not suggesting FileVault is the only trigger, I just noticed that for mine the "pop" happens before the keyboard backlight activates. It could very well be any pre-boot process that causes a voltage spike to trigger the discharge/"pop."

Okay. But in my case happens randomly: not only during startup... Perhaps Apple needs more time to investigate... And we should be more patient... or not... o_O

justinus

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
It occurs randomly for me too, even after boot. I took out the word "pre-boot" to clarify. I keep harping on the boot process because it's easy to reproduce the issue that way. But if it is static electricity accumulating inside the notebook, any time there's a path for that energy to be released (e.g., during a voltage spike from the CPU, keyboard backlight, or speakers being used) it'll "pop." I'm taking mine to Apple this week to see if it's a shielding or grounding issue.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
It occurs randomly for me too, even after boot. I took out the word "pre-boot" to clarify. I keep harping on the boot process because it's easy to reproduce the issue that way. But if it is static electricity accumulating inside the notebook, any time there's a path for that energy to be released (e.g., during a voltage spike from the CPU, keyboard backlight, or speakers being used) it'll "pop." I'm taking mine to Apple this week to see if it's a shielding or grounding issue.

Isn’t it just the noise made by the SSD that others have already noted here? They all do it to some extent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.