Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ukochu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Georgia
Hi, my 1.11 TB storage is pretty much full, and I got message "your disk is almost full." So I started deleting GBs of files or uploaded tons of files to Dropbox to make space storage. But it still shows I have 1GB or less free space in storage. Of course, I emptied trash can, deleted caches, and restarted computer several times. I checked folders iPhoto, iTunes, Photo Booth stuff stored, but I don't have anything. I save my work on desk top and whatever I have on desktop is about 300 GB and about 22 GBs for Applications when you get info. But it shows 67 GB for Application in the storage space. I don't understand why I'm not getting storage space as equal as or close to the space I removed from my mac. Also, it's weird thing is happening to my mac. After removing tons of files from HD, usage of each Photos, Apps, and movies in storage spaces increased even though I didn't install any applications or saved videos. I don't get it! It's very frustrated!!
I sync my mac with Dropbox to upload my files. Does it effect to my storage space?
Are there hidden files I am supposed to delete?

Please help me to make more space in storage. I can't stand this situation and can't work at all.

Thank you!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Dropbox just syncs the files between the Dropbox folder on your computer and the Dropbox server in the cloud. They're still on your hard drive, taking up space. You can uncheck folders in Dropbox's selective sync settings which will leave the files in the cloud but remove them from your drive, but then you won't even see the folders.

If you select your User folder (the one inside the Users folder) and Get Info (command-I) how much space is it using?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Somethings to try...
Download and run "Disk Inventory X", it'll graphically show you the large files hogging disk space.
Download and run "Monolingual", this will strip out unneeded language files to save even more disk space.
Also check for a large sleep image file at this location, "/private/var/vm/".
If you find this file you can reclaim this disk space by entering the following commands, one at a time, in a Terminal window.
-----------------
Set sleep mode in shell:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Remove the image:
sudo rm /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Create a blanked file:
sudo touch /private/var/vm/sleepimage

Make file immutable:
sudo chflags uchg /private/var/vm/sleepimage
---------------------

Ukochu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Georgia
Hi Brian,
Thank you for your advice. That was what I was thinking, too.
After I unchecked the folders in Dropbox's selective sync, it looks like my storage space got reset or something and shows a lot of free space now. Even if I synced the folder again, I still have plenty of free space so far.
[doublepost=1493907832][/doublepost]Hi jbarley,
Thank you for the useful info to clean up sleeping images.
I will definitely try them to keep my storage more space.

Ukochu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2017
Georgia
Hi Again,
After I cleaned up my desk top, I got pretty of storage space like I mentioned in the last thread. But it came back again!
I don't have much stuff on desk top like last time, but it filled storage space again.
I don't understand why it keeps filling up my storage. Although I didn't install any programs, my Apps storage space keeps increasing. Now it shows double since I had this storage problem.
Each move I take in Adobe programs keeps showing me spinning circle and takes a few minutes to move next action. It slows down my work so much, and I can't work like this.

PLEASE PLEASE help me to fix this problem.

Thank you.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Submit screenshot of storage breakdown (Apple menu -> About this Mac -> Storage). You can take screenshot by pressing CMD + SHIFT + 4 and AFTER that SPACE. Then click on window and screenshot will be saved to desktop.

EDIT: Didn't notice you re-enabled Dropbox sync. You had a lot of free space at first because Dropbox didn't have enough time to re-download your files. Now that it's done, you're back to full HD. Just like poster below me mentioned.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi Brian,
After I unchecked the folders in Dropbox's selective sync, it looks like my storage space got reset or something and shows a lot of free space now. Even if I synced the folder again, I still have plenty of free space so far.

The problem is that when you re-synced the folders the files started downloading again.

You're just going to have to trash or move a lot of files off your drive. I don't think there's a "problem" beyond that.

Movies, Photos, and Music are usually the culprits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.