Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
i left my mbp open and running on my bed, when my girlfriends german sheapard proceeded to jump on the bed and relieve himself on my brand new mbp (i'm typing on my desktop). it landed on the keyboard, and if that wasn't bad enough, after he finished his business, he swiped the screen closed with his tail, smothering the poo all through my keyboard and all over my beautiful led! do you think the apple store will take it back? :apple::eek:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
NO FRICKIN' WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I had a bird poo on my powerbook. If your careful you can get the poo off. All of it.. I hope it wasn't wet.

BTW: No they will not take it back, even though you would be returning it with more then it came with :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Heh. Obviously the German Shepherd is a Windows fanboy. No, the Apple Store will not let you take it back.

I'm not sure what the best option here is except to put some rubber gloves on and get cleaning with some disinfectant in the water, but being sparing with the liquid. Maybe start with some slightly damp kitchen towels first. You may also need to disassemble the top of the machine as well to clean out the keyboard.

Guides for disassembly here:
http://www.ifixit.com/

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
well thats one for the record books. I think your girlfriend just got herself a used laptop for an early xmas gift.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
LOL so the question is, new dog rug or ex gf !! !haha

If you got any liquid down in your keyboard what you need to do is get distilled water, pull the keyboard out and soak it thouroughly and several times !! that urine and stuff will corrode the electrical contacts.

However only do this with distilled water, all other water has minerals etc in it that will interfere with the contacts etc once it dries. ( I have done this with cel phones that have been dropped in swimming pools, toilets, etc, remotes that the kids took to wash in the bath tub) the key is that it must be absolutely perfectly dry when you reassemble it. i usually turn the oven on a little bit then shut it off and place the piece in there to dry --- DO NOT FORGET TO SHUT THE OVEN OFF or leave the part unattended lol it will melt. shoot for around 40C.

Dont use any strong detergents or chlorines etc, these will corrode your contacts etc, use a little mild dish detergent if necessary, and be sure to rinse thouroughly.

if you pull the top off it you should be able to save it, the monitor can be cleaned with water and a small amount of soap, i dont recommend soaking it however ... lol

i will see if i can find the instructions for taking the mbp apart, theres some screws in the memory compartment that caused me trouble last time, and be careful not to lose the spacers for the latch!!!! lol otherwise it wont latch worth a damn !!!

Good luck!!

A final rinse with methyl alcohol will significantly increase the speed of drying as it will absorb the water on contact. be sure to check that it wont damage the plastic but it should be ok that stuff is pretty mild, just dont drink it!! lol

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Sounds to me like someone's pulling our legs. I think this calls for the obligatory comment: "pictures or it didn't happen".

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sounds to me like someone's pulling our legs. I think this calls for the obligatory comment: "pictures or it didn't happen".

I suspect you're right, seeing as the OP said he was going to wait to buy until the 17" MBPs had LED screens and was going to buy an HP in the meantime a couple of months ago.

On that basis, I'm going to close this thread as there has been plenty of good advice already given, and if it's just a joke, then it's a waste of everyone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.