Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwhite8889

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2022
Texas
I have a new Apple TV 4K with two HomePods (2nd gen) in stereo and five HomePod Minis around the house.

Ive had more audio issues than I can shake a stick at. The two most notable: reduced volume and random cutting out every 30-60 seconds.

Disabling Lossless audio seems to have fixed the cut-outs and disabling Dolby Atmos in the Music App settings fixed my volume issue (WAY louder now out of my two stereo HomePods).

Interestedly enough I can only disable Dolby in the music app settings. Trying to turn it off under the general audio settings is greyed out… so I’m assuming when I watch movies I’ll be getting the reduced volume Dolby audio?

Am I the only one having these issues? I feel like I spent a lot of money for an unreliable product…

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
You can't disable dolby sound because Apple tv and HomePod combined automatically deliver the highest quality available.

You could if you had another hardware that does not support Atmos.

Anyway, I would reset the ATV to factory... I had similar issues with a soundbar and I thought it was its fault while it was -indeed- the ATV's.

As for the music app, Atmos is an object based audio mixing format so it's "supposed" to sound lower.
But if you have sound check on, it should sound great with Atmos.
The real problem is that there are many songs that are mixed very poorly on Atmos... so they sound very bad.

Having said that, it's your personal preference :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bwhite8889

bwhite8889

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2022
Texas
You can't disable dolby sound because Apple tv and HomePod combined automatically deliver the highest quality available.

You could if you had another hardware that does not support Atmos.

Anyway, I would reset the ATV to factory... I had similar issues with a soundbar and I thought it was the its fault while it was -indeed- the ATV.

As for the music app, Atmos is an object based audio mixing format so it's "supposed" to sound lower.
But if you have sound check on, it should sound great with Atmos.
The real problem is that there are many songs that are mixed very poorly on Atmos... so they sound very bad.

Having said that, it's your personal preference :)
Thank you for the reply!

I think a great example of what I’m talking about with the volume reduction is Taylor Swift’s Anti Hero. Try playing that song and in the middle of the song change the Setting from Dolby Atmos to Off. When I do that the volume increases by 50%!

I completely understand the idea behind Dolby being lower is to increase the dynamic range, but should it truly be this dramatic? We have a lot of get-togethers and it’s the difference between the guests being able to hear the music in a crowded room versus going “there’s music playing?”

Reactions: Aves

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
Thank you for the reply!

I think a great example of what I’m talking about with the volume reduction is Taylor Swift’s Anti Hero. Try playing that song and in the middle of the song change the Setting from Dolby Atmos to Off. When I do that the volume increases by 50%!
I have this thing where I get older but just never wiser

LOL that's me! 😝

...and you should try some of David Guetta songs!! Some get a lower sound that kills your vibe, others sound great!

I had great experiences with Atmos, and other very bad ones! It really depends on the songs too!!

Restore that ATV 🤓

Reactions: bwhite8889

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
What sorts of issues did restoring the ATV fix for you?

This was with an Apple Tv 4K first generation that I use in the guest room connected to a sony soundbar.
I had sound delay and cutting every now and then, very noticeable when watching tv.

I restored it and that fixed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.