Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Is there any way via plug-in or anything to get get FCE to encode audio in Dolby Digital? I believe this is possible in FCP, but i am looking for a way to do it in FCE or iDVD if needed.

Thanks
Ed

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I haven't looked into this in over a year but I'm pretty sure that iDVD does not support DD 5.1. You'd need to move up to DVD SP. I believe that FCE also does not support 5.1.

I've been hoping for each new version of iMovie to add a simple surround sound editor--not full 5.1--but at least ProLogic. Pinnacle Studio has had this for a few years.

It seemed strange to me that Apple added HD to iMovie and iDVD before adding 5.1 support. I'd bet that more people have 5.1 setups than HD sets.

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Your best option is to get DVD studio pro. It includes A.Pack, an AC-3 encoder.

Next option is to send the files out to somewhere that can do this type of production as without DVDSP you cannot make the DVD afaik.

If you really want AC-3 files and you love OS 9, there was a plugin for protools by Universal Audio, Smartcode Pro I believe, that you can still find online. This assumes that you can run protools under OS 9.

Yet another thing to check out is Minnetonka Audio. They make encoding software for a variety of formats, including AC-3 and DTS.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Poeben said:
Your best option is to get DVD studio pro. It includes A.Pack, an AC-3 encoder.

Next option is to send the files out to somewhere that can do this type of production as without DVDSP you cannot make the DVD afaik.

If you really want AC-3 files and you love OS 9, there was a plugin for protools by Universal Audio, Smartcode Pro I believe, that you can still find online. This assumes that you can run protools under OS 9.

Yet another thing to check out is Minnetonka Audio. They make encoding software for a variety of formats, including AC-3 and DTS.

Do they sell DVD Studio pro standalone? When i looked on Apple's website it looked like it was only included with Final Cut Studio Pro which is way out of my price range.

What about using Toast Titanium, i believe it says it has a DD encoder for DVD's. I dont need it to be 5.1 DD, even 2 channel DD is fine by me, just anything other than PCM that seems to drive my HK amp nuts in trying to decide what mode to place it on (usually settles with Neo 6 or Dolby PLIIx).

Ed

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I didn't see it on apple's site either. I believe they do sell it standalone, however. At the very least macmall.com sells it standalone for $500. If there is an apple store in your area check with them, as last time I was at one I remember seeing it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an affordable and reliable option for AC-3 encoding. You might want to take a look at ffmpeg though it seems to have some compatibility issues.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Ed H said:
Do they sell DVD Studio pro standalone? When i looked on Apple's website it looked like it was only included with Final Cut Studio Pro which is way out of my price range.

What about using Toast Titanium, i believe it says it has a DD encoder for DVD's. I dont need it to be 5.1 DD, even 2 channel DD is fine by me, just anything other than PCM that seems to drive my HK amp nuts in trying to decide what mode to place it on (usually settles with Neo 6 or Dolby PLIIx).

Ed

Apple only sells the suite now. You can still probably find DVD SP at Mac retailers (while supplies last) or on eBay.

Lethal

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
You can even try finding copies of DVD SP 1.5 or 2.0. It has a capable AC-3 encoder, but runs under OS9, I believe. I haven't run across a dedicated AC3 encoder, probably because it requires a license from Dolby.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
Actually the newest version of DVD Studio Pro doesn't use A.Pack for encoding anymore. It is built into the app. The newest version of Toast Titanium does have a Dolby Digital encoder though.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
RAS admin said:
Actually the newest version of DVD Studio Pro doesn't use A.Pack for encoding anymore. It is built into the app. The newest version of Toast Titanium does have a Dolby Digital encoder though.

So i could edit in FCE, then use Toast instead of iDVD? It makes no sense to me why they dont even have a add-on for DD, most major products on the windows side do. Hell i would be willing to pay extra for a iDVD plug-in if they didnt want it to raise their iLife base price.

Ed

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
Ed H said:
So i could edit in FCE, then use Toast instead of iDVD? It makes no sense to me why they dont even have a add-on for DD, most major products on the windows side do. Hell i would be willing to pay extra for a iDVD plug-in if they didnt want it to raise their iLife base price.

Ed

Yes, I think that will work. I looked in the "Video" tab of Toast Titanium 7 and clicked on "DVD-Video". Under "Options" click on the "More" button. Then go to the "Encoding" tab and click on "Custom" button. In the "Audio" section you will see "Audio Format" and "Data Rate" settings...

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Ok, i just ordered a copy of Toast 7 however i think their menus look hideous in comparison to iDVD's base menu selections. Can i make a custom one with motion/animation/movie clips, arrange buttons, etc.

OR

better yet.. Can i make the DVD menus in iDVD and export it then open it in Toast and get the DD i want with the nice iDVD menus? I know iDVD has a feature to export the whole DVD and just not burn it to disc. In other words i would compose it all in iDVD export it then import it in to Roxio for mastering? Or would i have to make custom Roxio templates that i liked and just not use iDVD?

Ed

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
I don't think you can export a layer-based menu from iDVD for use with Toast. I control-clicked on the Toast icon and selected "show package contents". Inside of the contents folder I opened up "Resources" and there is a folder called "Toast DVD Menu Styles" with 10 different Photoshop .psd files.

You could open one of these .psd files in Photoshop and change some things to your liking. I would only make some slight changes, i.e. changing the background. Just don't mess with the layers.

Also, I think Roxio sells bundles of DVD menu themes, but I haven't checked them out. I make my own Photoshop menus for use in DVD Studio Pro.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
RAS admin said:
I don't think you can export a layer-based menu from iDVD for use with Toast. I control-clicked on the Toast icon and selected "show package contents". Inside of the contents folder I opened up "Resources" and there is a folder called "Toast DVD Menu Styles" with 10 different Photoshop .psd files.

You could open one of these .psd files in Photoshop and change some things to your liking. I would only make some slight changes, i.e. changing the background. Just don't mess with the layers.

Also, I think Roxio sells bundles of DVD menu themes, but I haven't checked them out. I make my own Photoshop menus for use in DVD Studio Pro.

I meant can i make the DVD using the iDVD menus then export the files including the video and then let Toast re-encode it, the only thing i really want from it is the DD encoding.

Ed

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Ed H said:
It makes no sense to me why they dont even have a add-on for DD, most major products on the windows side do.
One point to make here is that Windows programs in question and most likely Toast have a DD Encoder that is limited to DD 2.0 (stereo) and does not support 5.1 (surround). This should absolutely be standard as PCM takes up way too much space on a single layer DVD+/-R. It's even standard in most hardware DVD burners and camcorders.

B

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
All i want is 2.0 DD to be honest.

I am wondering if you all think this would work. Edit in FC, use iDVD to make menus and connect all my chapter markers. Then make iDVD export the DVD to a folder and not a DVD. Take that Video TS folder (i think this is what it makes) and load in to Roxio for burning. My only question on this would be if Roxio would keep the PCM audio encoding or re-encode using DD...

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.