Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Is there any reason the new 11 Pro Max Dolby Vision feature could not be added to the 11 Pro Max eventually?

Don't worry, I will still buy the 12 Pro Max. I promise.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Is there any reason the new 11 Pro Max Dolby Vision feature could not be added to the 11 Pro Max eventually?

Don't worry, I will still buy the 12 Pro Max. I promise.

i’m sure they will say its dependent on the A14 chip. the better question is why software features are being locked away in the 12 Pro models that could clearly be on the regular 12 models as they are solely depend on the identical processor in each. Normally Apple sets apart Pro models with advanced HARDWARE features and software that takes advantage of them, this year many of the Pro features are software only things that the regular 12 could clearly have but has been locked away from to justify the Pro.

Carlo Aguilar Castrat

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2020
i’m sure they will say its dependent on the A14 chip. the better question is why software features are being locked away in the 12 Pro models that could clearly be on the regular 12 models as they are solely depend on the identical processor in each. Normally Apple sets apart Pro models with advanced HARDWARE features and software that takes advantage of them, this year many of the Pro features are software only things that the regular 12 could clearly have but has been locked away from to justify the Pro.
Like which things?

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
This article from iMore gives a good rundown on Dolby Vision on the new iPhone:

Why Apple is putting Dolby Vision cameras on the iPhone 12

"So, if Dolby Vision is so great, why doesn't everything use it?
Well, first, you have to license it from Dolby, which costs money. That's why some companies use HDR10 still or the newer, better, freely licenseable HDR10+.
Second, you have to compute it, which used to require special cameras, often dual exposures, and a beefy editing rig to put it — and output it — all together.
Now, as of this week, Apple is doing it on a phone. On. A. Phone.
And in 10-bit. For context, most cameras record in 8-bit. I record my videos in 10-bit. RAW is typically 12+-bit. It means more data for the video so if you need to fix white balance or exposure or saturation in post, you have much more data to work with.
That's obvioulsy a ton more data to process, but the iPhone 12 can handle it. Thanks to the A14 Bionic system-on-a-chip, or SoC, which is pulling all that data off the camera sensor, crunching it, adding the Dolby Vision metadata, and saving it all in real time. In. Real. Time.
It's the first time Apple has compute engines capable of doing it. And it's legit mind blowing."

Reactions: Brenster

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
? There are dedicated chips out there that are not even 7nm and they are clocked at 300MHz and can do DV. This horsepower required for DV by A14 is just marketing.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
i’m sure they will say its dependent on the A14 chip. the better question is why software features are being locked away in the 12 Pro models that could clearly be on the regular 12 models as they are solely depend on the identical processor in each.

The iPhone 12 has less RAM than the 12 Pro. Software requires more than just a processor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.