Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMBailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
I have a 4K AppleTV, 2nd gen I think, and a Samsung TV that supports HDR10+ but not DolbyVision. However, when I watch Netflix from the AppleTV app, the DolbyVision tag shows up on the movies. I was under the impression that the tag would only show up if your TV supports DolbyVision. If I use the Netflix app that is native to the Samsung TV (instead of going through the AppleTV), the same movie will only show the 4K HDR tag, not DolbyVision.

My question is, is the AppleTV displaying an HDR10+ picture but using the DolbyVision tag? I don't have a DolbyVision setting in the AppleTV app.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It shows the Dolby Vision logo because the device itself is capable.
With regards to HDR10+ you won’t be getting that for two reasons,
1) Netflix only supports Dolby Vision and HDR10.
2) HDR10+ is only supported on the ATV4K 3rd Gen.

DMBailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
It shows the Dolby Vision logo because the device itself is capable.
With regards to HDR10+ you won’t be getting that for two reasons,
1) Netflix only supports Dolby Vision and HDR10.
2) HDR10+ is only supported on the ATV4K 3rd Gen.
No, Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, supposedly. So I'm curious as to why it shows the DV tag on Netflix movies on the ATV.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
No, Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision, supposedly. So I'm curious as to why it shows the DV tag on Netflix movies on the ATV.
As I said, the AppleTV is a Dolby Vision compatible device which is why it shows the logo within the app on the AppleTV.
The Netflix devs have programmed the app to display the device compatibility as opposed to what the device is connected to.

Reactions: Realityck

DMBailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
So I can assume then that the Netflix movies are displaying in 4K UHD even though the tag says DolbyVision?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Correct. The whole HDMI chain needs to support Dolby Vision playback from Source (Apple TV) => hdmi repeater ( example AVR} -> 4K tv. The same is true for HDR10+ Playback.
Yeah I have this very issue with my ATV4K 3rd gen.
As a preference I prefer to have the ATV connected direct to my JBL Bar 9.1 which passes through 4KDV fine but doesn’t do so for HDR10+ so have to connect direct to the TV which every now and then causes an annoying audio glitch.
So it’s a bit of a trade-off, put up with the odd audio glitch as and when it decides to do it to take advantage of some of my iTunes movies and Prime content that’s in HDR10+ or direct to the JBL for no audio glitches at all but just get Dolby Vision and HDR10 for the relevant iTunes movies and Prime content.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
So I can assume then that the Netflix movies are displaying in 4K UHD even though the tag says DolbyVision?
Yes you’ll be getting 4KHDR, there should be some sort of on screen information from the TV itself to show what it’s actually outputting on screen.

On my TV if I press the info button it’ll show the screen ratio, whether it’s Dolby Vision, HDR or HDR10+ along with the framerate info.
Like this as an example
70b018fd-7228-420b-9378-1ecab057e52b-jpeg.1801894

Last edited:

DMBailey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2023
Yes you’ll be getting 4KHDR, there should be some sort of on screen information from the TV itself to show what it’s actually outputting on screen.

On my TV if I press the info button it’ll show the screen ratio, whether it’s Dolby Vision, HDR or HDR10+ along with the framerate info.
Like this as an example
70b018fd-7228-420b-9378-1ecab057e52b-jpeg.1801894
That's one of my problems. My Samsung remote doesn't have an info button,so I can't always see what the screen is actually displaying.

Reactions: shakopeemn

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Your Samsung should display “info”. Try pressing the button with numbers a couple times until an “i” shows up. Click it.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Héhé. I have Sony X90K with Dolby Vision and a 2021 ATV 4K DV. Never could get the TV to show a movie from Prime Video in DV. Neither on the preinstalled app or the ATV app. I know about YT. On my Sony remote, there is no "I" button too. No way to know details about the screen displaying. Something tells me newer TV and remotes don't have an info button anymore. Gave up on "I" button till next TV.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Héhé. I have Sony X90K with Dolby Vision and a 2021 ATV 4K DV. Never could get the TV to show a movie from Prime Video in DV. Neither on the preinstalled app or the ATV app. I know about YT. On my Sony remote, there is no "I" button too. No way to know details about the screen displaying. Something tells me newer TV and remotes don't have an info button anymore. Gave up on "I" button till next TV.
There's only about 3 titles in Dolby Vision on Prime? Did you try one of those (Jack Ryan season 1, Bosch season 2, and Suspiria)?

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Thanks for your reply. I checked on Suspiria. It’s HD, even not 4K. How could you watch it in DV. Share your secret or your magic!!! BTW, love Suspiria. I watched Argento's original version a thousand times. Watched the remake hundreds. AsvforbBosch, it's UHD but not DV. Thanks again.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
On an X90K you press the 123 button on the remote, a mini menu will pop up and the source information displays under the input information

x90.png

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.