Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David The Scot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Scotland UK
I am thinking of moving my site to mobile me
I have a mobile me account and my web hosting is up for renewal soon so I thought I would re build my site http://www.davidtaylor.tv in iweb as it needs some serious revamping and go onto mobile me, and save £120 hosting a year as well as still having my domain name site.

The only thing that is stopping me is that I can not figure out how to keep my
domain email david@davidtaylor.tv at the moment I just forward it to my ME address and it does not matter that when I send emails it does not come from that address as I use the reply to field in mail. But i must keep that email as it is so well known now.

so if I cancel my hosting and transfer to mobile me how do I keep the address.

Apple and my web host have been giving me conflicting answers so anybody got any ideas?

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
You could use google apps email. I use it for my personal domain email addresss and it is very good and it is free if you are happy with the advertising like normal gmail accounts.:)

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
You could use google apps email. I use it for my personal domain email addresss and it is very good and it is free if you are happy with the advertising like normal gmail accounts.:)

How/where do you sign up for this free service? I've been looking and all I see is that it's like $50/year for businesses. There are options for Schools/Non-Profits/ISP's. Are you signing up as a Non-Profit?

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
I just transferred my domain email to Google Apps (GMail) standard. As of right now, I HATE the conversation view of email as well as the use of labels instead of folders. It is so UN-intuitive. I would gladly sign up and pay for Mobile Me if I could use my own personal domain name for my email address. Any hopes of this being available in the future?

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
I agree with you that the google mail interface and use of labels and not folders is an acquired taste. I had used gmail for years before using google apps for my email, which personally I love. I don't know of any plans for mobile me to be used with personal domains. There are, however, more email providers for personal email than google aps. Yahoo have one I believe although you will have to pay for it. Hope that helps. I will have a look around the www and see if I can find any others. :)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I just transferred my domain email to Google Apps (GMail) standard. As of right now, I HATE the conversation view of email as well as the use of labels instead of folders.
If you hate it so much why did you do it? :confused: It's not like you couldn't have known how GMail looks and works.

Something people often seem to miss...

You can treat the labels just like folders, only better because you don't have to restrict your email to only falling under one category (as you have to do with folders). Messages only stay in your Inbox (even when you put them in another label) because they still have a hidden Inbox label attached to them (all messages get this as they arrive).

All you do is apply your label (just as you would putting in a folder), then hit Archive. Archive really just removes the Inbox label, which takes the message out of your Inbox.

The message will still be visible under the label(s) you applied, as well as in the All Mail label.

GMail is a work of genius! :D

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
I agree that gmail is a work of genius. It is the best email provider that I have used. And to have imap is a real bonus.

It is a pity that yahoo don't have imap and don't seem to be coming out with it anytime soon as I also have a yahoo account and it would be nice to have it linked to mail like my mobile me and gmail accounts are

enberg

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
fastmail.fm hosts domain email for $40 a year, and you don't have to hand over your private email to the google datamine leviathan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.