Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I switched off the ability for web sites to ask me to send me push notifications. Because I find them annoying. But MacRumors Forum asked me anyway and on every browser I use I have to say no which needs two click to do so. If you can't ask through the proper API for permission don't use another way. I think it is a rude behaviour. As I said, I switched it off for a reason.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
When it does, just click the "X" at the far right, then click "Never ask again":

Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 5.47.38 PM.png

As long as you don't clear your cache from MR in your browser, it shouldn't ever ask you again.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
When it does, just click the "X" at the far right, then click "Never ask again":

As long as you don't clear your cache from MR in your browser, it shouldn't ever ask you again.
It shouldn't ask me at all also that I have to click twice for that is also very annoying.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
It shouldn't ask me at all also that I have to click twice for that is also very annoying.

I'm not sure if the setting you were referring to in your OP actually is for preventing sites from asking. It may be just preventing them from automatically sending push notifications. Could you be more specific with, "I switched off the ability for web sites to ask me to send me push notifications"? Is that a macOS setting or a browser setting? If the latter, which browser?

As for two clicks, it's really no big deal unless you're constantly clearing the cache for this site (which I doubt you are). Maybe once every few months I'll completely clear my browser's cache, and only then if I'm having issues.

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
I'm not sure if the setting you were referring to in your OP actually is for preventing sites from asking. It may be just preventing them from automatically sending push notifications. Could you be more specific with, "I switched off the ability for web sites to ask me to send me push notifications"? Is that a macOS setting or a browser setting? If the latter, which browser?

As for two clicks, it's really no big deal unless you're constantly clearing the cache for this site (which I doubt you are). Maybe once every few months I'll completely clear my browser's cache, and only then if I'm having issues.

Here you can see the setting but never the less, many website (MacRumors Forum among them) are asking me to sent notifications. My guess is, that many people turned it off and website still want to ask it even though users have opt-out not to be asked for it. I find it annoying but I can't stop it alone, I have to essentially ask every website which does to stop this annoying behaviour.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 22.17.14.png

Reactions: mhnd

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Here you can see the setting but never the less, many website (MacRumors Forum among them) are asking me to sent notifications. My guess is, that many people turned it off and website still want to ask it even though users have opt-out not to be asked for it. I find it annoying but I can't stop it alone, I have to essentially ask every website which does to stop this annoying behaviour.

View attachment 2120782

So it's a Safari setting. Googling this issue, it appears to be known:

However, it appears the onus is on Apple to get this feature working, not MR or any other site. It's a Safari feature that's apparently broken.

• Sad
Reactions: tehabe

dodgywanker

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2003
Is there a safari extension that can block these web push notification requests? I've not yet been able to find one =( I visit macworld.com & other websites & that notification request pops up in the top centre of the screen =(

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Is there a safari extension that can block these web push notification requests? I've not yet been able to find one =( I visit macworld.com & other websites & that notification request pops up in the top centre of the screen =(
Have you tested deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications." There's been a few updates to safari and the thread usagora linked is a few years old.

Maybe it's fixed now.

dodgywanker

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2003
Have you tested deselecting "Allow websites to ask for permission to send notifications." There's been a few updates to safari and the thread usagora linked is a few years old.

Maybe it's fixed now.
On or off I'm still getting web push notifications from a variety of websites; using safari from newest macOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.