Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
hi guys

just a quick reminder to put screen protectors on your new iPhone3g to prevent horrible smudges or any scratches appearing..

thanks

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Why? I had the original iPhone in my pocket for a full year since the day it went on sale, no case, no screen protector, no nothing, and the screen is in perfect condition. Infact the entire phone is is perfect condition.

It's just my opinion of course but putting a case or protector on the phone is a travesty. It's beautiful the way it was built, and putting a case on it ruins the design. The screen protector is just not necessary either.

hi guys

just a quick reminder to put screen protectors on your new iPhone3g to prevent horrible smudges or any scratches appearing..

thanks

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
hi guys

thanks

Why? Smudges? Clean your hands! Scratches? have you seen the 'scratch the crap out of the glass of the iPhone tests?

russ973

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
huh?

Screen is about the ONLY part that you don't have to worry about. And most screen protectors will pick up smudges too.

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
From the PC World tests there were run on the new iPhone, it's obvious the phone can withstand abuse. If you're careful with your phone then most likely you don't really need anything. But some people who are a bit more cavalier with their phone would probably be wise to get something for it.

I have BodyGuardz on the way for mine. I may just go with the backplate cover and skip the screen cover. We'll see.

My current phone is in pretty good shape despite being abused for a year and a half...just slight scratches on the screen and some wear on the paint of the case. Most decent quality phones will stand up to abuse. I want to go the extra mile for the iPhone though. It's a beautiful phone...and no way do I want to see it get the same wear my current phone has.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
The only scratch on my screen is from when I was trying to get dust off the sticky side of a screen cover. Yes, irony. So considering I could never get it clean, I just said F it!!!

As far as cases, yeah, they'll protect it. But I'm just gonna deal without. I've had this thing 3 months and the only scratches on the case were from when it fell out of my pocket and into the guts of a recliner.

bubbagumpshrimp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
I was planning on putting IS on the front and back but after talking to some people the IS front cover seems to be not worth putting on because of the feel and visible texture?
So if I just put IS on the back I think I would still like something for the screen just in case. any recommendations?

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I only put a case on if I'm doing work outside just in case I smack my pocket so nothing happens. Otherwise normal everyday use it's naked.

mkitchen

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
I don't want to be anti-case.. but after holding this thing there is no way i'm putting a case on it. It would ruin the feel in the hand. No screen protector either - i'm going a-natural.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
just get a full body skin from providers like InvisibleShield or BodyGuardz, or Best Skins Ever...

You don't even notice they're there, and you can't tell unless you actually are looking. Doesn't add bulk or mask the sexiness, just protects it from scratches ( adds a bit more grip I've found )

contempt

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Brooklyn
I remember with the original iPhone, I scratched the screen on the 3rd day. Absolutely pissed. Then I got a screen protector. So with the 3G, I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. Put a protector on right away.

But also placed an order for the InvisibleShield. No decent cases out there and figure why not show off the back.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I'm definitely getting a screen protector if I get the 3G. I have a small scratch in the center of my 2.5 G iphone and although its not extremely annoying all the time, sometimes it just irks the crap out of me.

bit_bucket

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Summerville, SC
Yeah I'm definitely getting a screen protector if I get the 3G. I have a small scratch in the center of my 2.5 G iphone and although its not extremely annoying all the time, sometimes it just irks the crap out of me.

Good lord do you guys have ears made of diamonds? The only way this screen scratches is if it comes in contact with a diamond. So along with this bogus reccomendation to drum up sales for unecessarry screen protectors, can I also suggest bullet proofing for Kevlar vests or even weather proofing for gortex material. For the rest of you who know better go on about your business and don't get suckered into this "snake oil".

interesting

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Good lord do you guys have ears made of diamonds? The only way this screen scratches is if it comes in contact with a diamond. So along with this bogus reccomendation to drum up sales for unecessarry screen protectors, can I also suggest bullet proofing for Kevlar vests or even weather proofing for gortex material. For the rest of you who know better go on about your business and don't get suckered into this "snake oil".

People DO wear diamond earrings and diamond rings as well as other diamond jewelry. And, despite what you may think glass is vulnerable to things other than diamonds. Chemicals, some metal alloys, hard carbon, other glass, etc. It can be etched, and chipped as well. Come on guy.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I had my original iphone for a year with no protective cover on it and there isn't a single scratch on it.

I also don't have plastic covers on my furniture. Call me a rebel.

Veil

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
The back of the black iPhone 3G seems to get cratched pretty easily, if I may believe some of the pictures that are posted on the web. Maybe a slide-in case may provide some ease of mind when it's in your pocket — along with some keys e.g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.