Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricHemmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2019
I say this through experience of years and years ... it all started in 2013, after the crappy iOS 7 ... any device you buy like for example an iPhone 10 with iOS 12 and upgrade to 13 and then iOS 14 will see that the device will never be the same, even if it downgrades ... the battery will drop sharply to 1%, the device will shut down from nowhere when certain applications are opened, not to mention the ergonomics that tend to get worse and worse, given the old Apple base that has been slowly deteriorating.
My iPad 6th gen, it’s only a few months old, I upgraded to iOS 12 and that's okay, but now with 13, they practically killed the device's multitasking, as if it had cut the memory in half, the notes app closes all the time any other app opened with the safari lasts a few minutes and is closed until the iPad is restarted. Unfortunately, that's it, it seems that Apple reversed the values at some point after Tim Cook took over, she wants us to change our devices frequently. :mad:
?????????????

Sorry for english.

The symptoms are always the same and have been felt in other my iGadgets:

2009 iPod Touch 3 - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2010 iPhone 4 - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2010 iPod Touch 4 - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2010 iPad - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2011 iPad 2 - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2012 iPhone 4s - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 7
2012 iPod Touch 5 - VARIOUS UPDATES WITHOUT PROBLEMS
2012 iPad 3 - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 7
2014 iPad Air - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 10
2016 iPhone 5SE - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 12
2017 iPhone 8 - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 13
2018 iPad 6th - PROBLEM AFTER IOS 13

Last edited:

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
Just buy a new one ? and sell your old one! Those devices you list are SO old!!

Every year I buy the new model and sell my old iPhone, and the loss is very low for me.

I also have an iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen since 2016, and with iOS 13 is so fast and multitasking!

Reactions: jemcik

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've always upgraded all of my iDevices until they stopped releasing updates for them. My 4th gen iPad runs just fine on iOS 10. I'd upgrade it beyond iOS 10, but it only supports up to 10. My wife's iPhone 4s was upgraded to the max of iOS9 and it ran fine too.

You probably have some apps responsible for your issues. All of my iDevices and Macs are upgraded as far as they're allowed and I haven't had any problems.

insomnium

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2019
Exactly, i've just downgraded my 1st gen iPad Air from iOS 12 to iOS 10.3.3 and it runs great!. In iOS 12 it was struggling while opening simple pdf files. Every new iOS generation they put more pressure to the memory usage; thus making older devices struggle and forcing you to buy new devices.

Reactions: motulist

Timothy Leo Crowley

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2016
I upgrade all my Apple devices to the current OS version with no problems. I have an Ipad Air 2 running 13.4, not a single noticeable problem. My XS Max is also on 13.4, 92% battery life, lasts all day with moderate to heavy use. No lag. No problems. You do you. But I will keep upgrading my devices to the latest OS.

Reactions: dumastudetto

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I have iPhone X and 11 (non Pro). Identically setup. Only differences is in two years based on hardware. I may be alone, but memory and memory management are the only real issue. Both are iOS 13.3.1.

3GB RAM just doesn’t cut it. 4GB helps. You may think 8-12GB as found in Samsung Galaxy is overkill or to compensate for poor code and apps and having to still support 32- and 64-but apps. I don’t.

Overdue to equip iDevices with 6-8GB.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Google how to save iOS blobs. This will allow you to get around Apple's restriction on reverting to an older version of iOS if a newer version ruins your device's performance.

EDIT: Here's how you do it

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
This isn’t remotely true. We have ancient hardware at work running the latest iOS no with no issues.
Same boat. There’s a 6s in my house as well as an iPad mini 4. They are both working pretty darn well. I’m fairly impressed with how well the 6s is holding up

Reactions: chrono1081

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
I say this through experience of years and years ... it all started in 2013, after the crappy iOS 7 ... any device you buy like for example an iPhone 10 with iOS 12 and upgrade to 13 and then iOS 14 will see that the device will never be the same, even if it downgrades ... the battery will drop sharply to 1%, the device will shut down from nowhere when certain applications are opened, not to mention the ergonomics that tend to get worse and worse, given the old Apple base that has been slowly deteriorating.
My iPad 6th gen, it’s only a few months old, I upgraded to iOS 12 and that's okay, but now with 13, they practically killed the device's multitasking, as if it had cut the memory in half, the notes app closes all the time any other app opened with the safari lasts a few minutes and is closed until the iPad is restarted. Unfortunately, that's it, it seems that Apple reversed the values at some point after Tim Cook took over, she wants us to change our devices frequently. :mad:
?????????????

Sorry for english.

What’s the point of this lengthy discussion again?

It’s common sense that newer hardware is more powerful/efficient at running latest software. A company could try and optimize their software for all the supported older devices but it’d require the allocation of a ton of resources which makes the company unsustainable economically. You’d be burning through cash and there won’t be much new revenue. So you have to balance them so you could have a sustained revenue while optimizing your resource expenditure.

I’m actually more interested in why Google still gathers so much data on you even when you pay a premium on a Pixel phone and more often on an inferior hardware.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Exactly, i've just downgraded my 1st gen iPad Air from iOS 12 to iOS 10.3.3 and it runs great!. In iOS 12 it was struggling while opening simple pdf files. Every new iOS generation they put more pressure to the memory usage; thus making older devices struggle and forcing you to buy new devices.
How'd you downgrade to iOS 10? Did you have blobs?

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
If you’re not happy with how Apple is handling their hardware and software, move to Android then. It’s that simple.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
?????????????

Sorry for english.

Battery dropping to 1% sharply is suggestive of a battery issue that’s solvable through a battery replacement.

Multitasking became an issue with iOS 13 owing to bad memory management. As of 13.3 and above, issue is resolved.

Kindly don’t sensationalise with all-caps titles. If all you wanted was to blow some steam, then okay, you have blown your steam on unsuspecting members here without their fault. Some might say it is a much lighter and far less harmful version of terrorists blowing their steam off on unsuspecting and innocent users in the world, but a version, nonetheless.

However, in case you want some help, provide facts. Facts such as iOS version you’re on, if you’re using apps that haven’t been updated in a long time, how do you use your phone, how often you need to charge, brightness levels of screen, so on.

I’m going to suspect that you aren’t on iOS 13.3.1 when you say multitasking was killed. Update to the latest version of iOS and then report back, if you need help and not just willing to rant on unsuspecting users of this forum across the world.

iOS 13.3.1 has been exceptional on my iPhone 7 and 8 in all respects, including battery life. We only need charging once a day to fill it up to 100% and then we are good to go for the day. I can make 2 days with my 8 since I use it lightly as a messaging platform and a little bit of other things, zero gaming. The 7 is used more on the internet and with higher brightness, so it does need to be charged once a day definitely, and sometimes even twice. Also, my 5s was as good as ever on iOS 12 before I sold it off.

Last edited:

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
?????????????

Sorry for english.

This isn't even remotely true.

Most likely user error. I bet you run an AV on MacOS, and probably two on Windows?

I have an iPhone 7, and an iPhone SE. Both devices are on the latest software (iOS 13.3.1 as of this writing). I've never had a single problem with them other than the same random bugs that show up on all devices. They have both been very snappy and perfectly functional on iOS 13, and 12 prior to that.

Perhaps you should either switch to a flip-phone or something more suited to your ability, or try closing some of the apps you have open. Afterall, having every app open on your phone will fill up the limited amount of RAM that iOS devices have. The OS will close them sometimes but it will only do so if it feels it needs to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.