Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi so I have light mode in Mojave on.

However I'm noticing the finder windows (file open), the dock has darker shades now. Is there anyway to keep lighter shades in these windows? Thanks!

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Anyone want to help me with this issue? I don't like the dark shades.. in light mode that too..

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but there's a lot – an awful lot – of transparency in Mojave, so the background affects open windows. I've ended up changing my backgrounds to counter the seepage – the degree of transparency is too high, imo. However, there are also options in Preferences/Accessibility/Display that might work for you.

Reactions: shankar2

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I don't think it's possible. "Dark Mode" is EVERYTHING dark, and "Light Mode" is EVERYTHING light. There doesn't appear to be way to go back to the High Sierra way of just having the menu bar be dark and everything else light.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Actually what's happening is that the colors are being affected by the color of the wallpaper. This is unlike High Sierra, but quite like IOS.

It's quite irritating so I'll have to find a bright wallpaper so that the colors in the windows and dock bar are lighter and easier on the eyes. btw any way to disable this feature on Macos? Thanks!

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think it's possible. "Dark Mode" is EVERYTHING dark, and "Light Mode" is EVERYTHING light. There doesn't appear to be way to go back to the High Sierra way of just having the menu bar be dark and everything else light.
There's a terminal command: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/only-dark-menu-bar-dock-mojave/
[doublepost=1538024475][/doublepost]
Actually what's happening is that the colors are being affected by the color of the wallpaper. This is unlike High Sierra, but quite like IOS.

It's quite irritating so I'll have to find a bright wallpaper so that the colors in the windows and dock bar are lighter and easier on the eyes. btw any way to disable this feature on Macos? Thanks!
You can disable transparency in accessibility options.

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
You can disable transparency in accessibility options.
It messes with the dock and menu bar, though, and looks terrible. It's better in dark that light. Usable, almost. But it's just awful in light.

I'm trying to adapt to the transparency, since the other options are worse. But it's the wrong way around. When an app has focus it should have solid colours – that seems brain-dead obvious to me. The transparency should be used when something doesn't have focus. It's absurd to click an app to have focus and the text be more difficult to read. Why would anybody want that?

And why should readability be dependent on background? Utterly nonsensical.

dottdirtt

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
Hi so I have light mode in Mojave on.

However I'm noticing the finder windows (file open), the dock has darker shades now. Is there anyway to keep lighter shades in these windows? Thanks!

I have the same problem. Just worked out turning on increased contrast in accessibility turns the dock lighter again just means there are also more defined lines in finder windows, bolder fonts, etc. but for me i don't like the darker dock at all, nor transparency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.