Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleComplicatesMyLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
Cape Cod
SOS! I am currently transferring over 21 thousand photos and videos from my iPhone to a new hard drive on my MAX computer 10.13.1, high Sierra. They’re transferring now. I have “Keep Originals” checked.

I came across an article that said that Apple is using a new format when uploading photos, changing my original JPGS to some other four letter word format that starts with an “H”, which can’t be viewed in “Preview”.
I don’t want my photos to be converted to their new enhanced format thank you very much, but HOW DO I MAKE SURE MY PHOTOS AREN'T GOING IN AS THEIR newfangled four letter word “H” format?

Please explain in Elementary Terms if possible. Thank you,
[doublepost=1562526859][/doublepost]PS I also heard HEIF Files aren’t able to be viewed on a PC
Apple: Leave stuff alone that was fine before! You’re always mucking things up and playing hardball with PC users! Some of us Mac folks use PC’s too you know...

AppleComplicatesMyLife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2019
Cape Cod
SOS! I am currently transferring over 21 thousand photos and videos from my iPhone to a new hard drive on my MAX computer 10.13.6, high Sierra. They’re transferring now. I have “Keep Originals” checked.

I came across an article that said that Apple is using a new format when uploading photos, changing my original JPGS to some other four letter word format that starts with an “H”, which can’t be viewed in “Preview”.
I don’t want my photos to be converted to their new enhanced format thank you very much, but HOW DO I MAKE SURE MY PHOTOS AREN'T GOING IN AS THEIR newfangled four letter word “H” format?

Please explain in Elementary Terms if possible. Thank you,
[doublepost=1562526859][/doublepost]PS I also heard HEIF Files aren’t able to be viewed on a PC
Apple: Leave stuff alone that was fine before! You’re always mucking things up and playing hardball with PC users! Some of us Mac folks use PC’s too you know...

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I just opened a HEIF pic in Preview in High Sierra 10.13.6.

try opening a JPEG in preview and save it as a .HEIF file .. then double click it. Preview should open it.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Is this "HEIF" you format you refer to similar to the HEIC format my system offers me?

Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 5.10.28 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.