Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
So, I got Doom 3 the other day, and it keeps freezing in the middle of level 2. It's really annoying, and I can't find a solution, neither here nor after searching Google. It seems like a really cool game, and I'd like to finish it.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
You are using the Universal binary version correct? It would be safe to assume that you're playing it on your MBP and not the eMac?

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, UB on my MacBook Pro. I installed the most recent update I could find, and the problem persists. By the way, would this be the prefs file in the system library or my user library?

happydudeca

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
I'm having the same issue on my (less tham 24hours old to me) 2.2 MBP. Downloaded the UB patch, new to Macs, what gives? First freeze happened before the game even loaded, then I installed the UB patch, then it froze about 30seconds into level 1.

Sure looks nice thus far though :eek:

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I'm having the same issue on my (less tham 24hours old to me) 2.2 MBP. Downloaded the UB patch, new to Macs, what gives? First freeze happened before the game even loaded, then I installed the UB patch, then it froze about 30seconds into level 1.

Sure looks nice thus far though :eek:

For sure. sounds like we've got the same computer, too. Hopefully we can find a solution.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Yeah, UB on my MacBook Pro. I installed the most recent update I could find, and the problem persists. By the way, would this be the prefs file in the system library or my user library?
I guess you could delete both, but to be sure try creating a new user and running the game as that new user.

happydudeca

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
Since my last post, Doom is running a lot better for some reason. I got one 'freeze' that lasted for about 10seconds and then the game unfroze itself and all was well. Hasn't happened since. I was having some crashing issues and serious lag with COD2 as well, but that seems to have smoothed out nicely. I wonder if somehow these Macs need a break-in period or something. Quake IV and RON run just peachy.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I don't have quite the same problem, but when ever I play doom 3, it'll load the level per usual, i'll get into the game (the scene has loaded) and after a very short random interval (try a few seconds max), the game will bring me back to the main screen, and I can't even press 'esc' to get back to where I was! This happens everytime I play, sometimes if I run erratically, I can delay the 'de-loading'.

Only good thing is that it keeps the level data in ram so I don't have to wait very long before I reload the saved game.

Either way, it's a huge pain and I haven't played the game properly since the problem started happening.

Anyone else have this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.