Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

recently I followed dosdude1's instructions on how to patch Catalina onto my old 3,1 mac that I upgraded. I followed every last step to the second of the video, and it successfully installed, But it's so choppy and slow it's unusable. If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know. (Video will be attached)

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
Hello all,

recently I followed dosdude1's instructions on how to patch Catalina onto my old 3,1 mac that I upgraded. I followed every last step to the second of the video, and it successfully installed, But it's so choppy and slow it's unusable. If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know. (Video will be attached)

View attachment 2362644
I'd also like to mention I have a metal capable Kepler gpu, and I flashed the GTX 680 so I could have an EFI bootscreen.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
No problems on my 5,1 for years. Works well with my original EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition, with a PC AMD RX 580 and PC AMD Vega Frontier

HeadstrongZodiac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2023
You made an error with the gpu patches. Probably adding the old video patches.

If so you need install again dont selecting the legacy video patches.

Btw: not very kind of you barking at the wrong tree…
So a clean install with no legacy GPU drivers? I think I selected those on accident the first time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.