Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
I just found this application a few days ago, but it was not iTunes compatible at the time. Today they released their new version that includes an iPhone compatible web service. Dot-Tunes is an iTunes web server that lets you share and access your iTunes library over the internet. Now, with the iPhone version, you can access any of your music over the web, EDGE is even fast enough for many MP3s. It is great and you can get the application for free at dottunes.net. The iPhone add-on is $20. I bought it and I love it. There is a live demo on their site.

FatBottom

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2007
This Rocks!! iTunes on my iPhone

Nice one - all my iTunes tracks streaming to my iPhone.

My 8 Gig iPhone is now streaming a 50 gig music library!!

Thx

digitalsniper

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
DOT.TUNES Lets You Access Itunes From the iPhone

I have to chime in agreement about DOT.TUNES. I downloaded the application and then got the plug-in and I've been rocking my iTunes from my iPhone ever since.

I've been able to watch movies on my iPhone (which was really great wherever I had a wifi connection). And listening to my music was a cinch too (even over the Edge network).

If you have an iPhone, DOT.TUNES' iPhone plug-in is an absolute must! You don't ever have to be bothered with which songs to put on the iPhone, because of the 8 gig limit because with DOT.TUNES you can get your entire library.

digitalsniper

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Just a newbie, not Fatbottom or Matthias. I thought the point of the forum was to share insight on matters that would likely be important to other members of our community.

I'm not for ads or spam or anything like that, and hopefully other 'non-newbies' will chime in either for or against DOT.TUNES so that there's more even-handed discussion about this app, and it doesn't feel like an 'ad.'

At the end of the day, I can't speak for anyone else who's posted, but I did because I wanted to share my opinion about an app I found with a group that I thought would benefit from that knowledge. I'm sure Matthias and Fatbottom did the same thing.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
Chances are everyone above this post is the same person.

What's with all the ads recently? :(

I don't know why I feel so offended about it, but I have been on this forum for over 2 years. True, I don't post much, but I have made other posts before. I am not at all affiliated with the company that makes the program, I used my true name as my nick, and you can even search me in Google and see that I am a real person. I just really like this program. Tell me, shouldn't we share info on programs that we like? Not all endorsements are SPAM.

Now, incase the creators of this program are on this forum, and I have feeling that any small company would keep tabs on their name and maybe even post about it (like I said, I can't speak for the other posters, but I am just someone that has spent hours looking for a solution like this), I would like to say, there are some problems that I have been having with Dot-tunes. First, it shows AAC Protected files in the web interface, even though, at least on the iPhone, they are not playable. Second, it doesn't mark podcast and other audio as listened to in my iTunes. I really think it should do that. Third, there is no way to turn of the album art loading once you have added the album art in. I think that the way the images are loaded into the page makes it load each occurrence of the image. On EDGE it is fast enough to listen to mp3s, but the images make browsing slow. Fourth, I wish you could set it to play more than one song before having to select another.

If the developers of the program are on the forum, don't be afaid to come forth, just be upfront about it and join the dialog.

Daiden, I understand the where you are coming from, but I really do just love this product. Try it out and you may find out why.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Chances are everyone above this post is the same person.

What's with all the ads recently? :(

Haha, I was (am) thinking the same thing.

Sorry guy(s).

Might be just a weird coincidence.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Daiden, I understand the where you are coming from, but I really do just love this product. Try it out and you may find out why.

I apologize, I've just seen a few ads pop up recently and, working in the advertising industry, I'm familiar with how forum posts that pretend to be ads (which is something I refuse to do) are generally done.

I didn't mean to offend.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
Thanks, just between you and mean, I wouldn't be surprised if FatBottom is the developer. I don't know that, just that he hasn't been back.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
I apologize, I've just seen a few ads pop up recently and, working in the advertising industry, I'm familiar with how forum posts that pretend to be ads (which is something I refuse to do) are generally done.

I didn't mean to offend.

I find it ironic that you are advertising your website in your sig. Not saying you shouldnt, I just find it funny is all. ;)

digitalsniper

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
I'm glad to see others weigh in on this discussion. I'm also happy to see what issues you're having/have had with the application. I think that they have a forum too, so I would recommend sharing your issues with them. I had an issue with validating a plug-in, and Jeff the developer (who I think goes by "Jeff" when he posts in the forum-although he may have a different moniker elsewhere) hit me back immediately, so if you think you've got some ideas to make it better, I'd share it with them.

On another note, I am not the developer, didn't create the application, don't work for an advertising company and don't have a technical bone in my body. I'm also not real versed in forums, outside of knowing that they generally discourage spamming. But since this thread was started a few days ago (which I think is when DOT.TUNES released the new version), about an old application (googled "dottunes" it and its been around for like 4 years) with a new twist for a new device, I'm not sure what the hoopla's about.

I thought (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the point of a forum like this was to talk about different apps, software programs, and the like, that may be available for the iPhone. This is "Macrumors" after all, right? How do you talk about something (which you might even be passionate about) without it being perceived as "spam" or advertising? And I am genuinely looking for insight, because I'm sure there are other people who would love to tell folks about apps or things they've found that don't because of situations like this.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
why use this when you can use Phone Home [search google] to accomplish the same thing, with a nice UI, and free :)

Thanks for the tip on Phone Home. I am going to start using that, but I think this is a different sector. Dot-Tunes will let you stream your music to your phone, not just control your iTunes from your phone. I have to agree though, Phone Home has a better UI and being that it is built on Ruby on Rails, I bet the performance is better.

badtz

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Los Angeles, CA.
Thanks for the tip on Phone Home. I am going to start using that, but I think this is a different sector. Dot-Tunes will let you stream your music to your phone, not just control your iTunes from your phone. I have to agree though, Phone Home has a better UI and being that it is built on Ruby on Rails, I bet the performance is better.

You're right :) sorry about that. I use phone home to control iTunes.....

I use telekenesis (http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/) to file browse my mp3s and stream them to the iPhone (and videos too!). The only problem is you don't get the iTunes playlists but the folder structure it stores it in (or if you manually sort your music)..... :)

aonflux

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
i tried using it and I can't seem to get the settings on my airport extreme right. i can't access the server from outside from home network.

DadaFz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
i tried using it and I can't seem to get the settings on my airport extreme right. i can't access the server from outside from home network.

Hey I had that problem too but an easy fix. It is actually a deficiency in the Airport (all flavors not just extreme). It can't forward ports to a DCHP address properly.

What you need to do is setup your computer with a static IP and then forward the ports to that addy.

Pretty simple only took me like 2 mins.

I think the official reponse to that is on the web user forums that is where i first found out about it.

aonflux

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Thanks, I saw that info on their support page too, but I don't know how to go about giving my computer a static IP. Could you list the steps for me? Thanks!

badtz

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Los Angeles, CA.
There's two ways:

if you go the static IP route... then you must configure on your router to point the telekenesis port to your computer's static IP address

if you go the dynamic IP route... then the best way to accomplish this is by using Lighthouse, which will automatically map your computer to the Airport Base Station using NAT-MP. Then go to the Lighthouse website, and download the Telekenesis profile, and run the profile.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The guy who registered in 2005 and is a paid user of the site (demigod) is probably not a spammer.

What do you mean by "paid user"? Can you get paid for using MacRumors? I'd like to know about that! ;)

I guess you mean he is a "paying member"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.