Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What kind of PDA do you use with your mac.

• Pocket PC (windows Mobile)

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Palm OS

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • Other OS based

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • None.

Votes: 20 30.3%

• Total voters

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I have a HP 1945 PocketPC That I bought 3 years ago. I am planning to sync it with my apple using bluetooth.

Would anyone like tou share their experiance with a PocketPC and a Mac.

Later on I would like to replace it with a palm based treo or something like that -that way I would get rid of windows completely!

iSaint

macrumors 603
I have a Sony Clie SJ22, but I no longer use it. That's just one more thing to carry now that I have an iPod and a cell phone. I have my contacts in the iPod, and some of the contacts that I use more are in my cell phone.

Anyone want to buy it?

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I purchased my first pda in 2000 (palm III) and I am now on my 4 one. The first few years I used my PDA a lot, but now, it stays at home a lot. Some days i carry it around and not even turn it on. I guess that with the new cellphone capabilities PDA are getting obsolete.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I have a Mitac Mio that seemed like a good idea at the time, but the truth is I hardly use it, so I might offload it. Syncing it with a mac is a bit slow, and the only thing I use it for now is last minute notes that I can look over on the tram on the way into an exam.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Proud owner of a blackberry here.. not as flashy as the imates that are so popular here.. but the way ive dropped my blackberry a windows mobile device wouldnt have lasted this long! :D

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I sync my Address Book and iCal calendars between my MacBook and my Sony Ericsson Z520i. I don't really find a use for/see the point of having a Pocket PC...

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I own a Sony Clié SJ33 but I don't use it - haven't done since I got my first mac. When I get a decent smart phone that will do the job for me.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I sync my Address Book and iCal calendars between my MacBook and my Sony Ericsson Z520i. I don't really find a use for/see the point of having a Pocket PC...

I'm a part time freelance writer (and do several side projects that involve writing). Having a pocket PC is much more convenient than carrying around a notepad or a laptop computer for whenever an idea pops into my head...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
disconap said:
I'm a part time freelance writer (and do several side projects that involve writing). Having a pocket PC is much more convenient than carrying around a notepad or a laptop computer for whenever an idea pops into my head...
Ah... but I find one of these much more convenient than any pocket pc or laptop computer:

notebook.jpg

:)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
I have a Dell Axim, HP iPaq, Tungsten C, Sharp Zaurus 5500, Treo 650 and a XV6700. So I wont answer the poll since I dont see an all of the above OS option lol :D

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
...Late post for this thread, but I just found it while looking for an answer to "how do I transfer a dvd/divx file to my pocket pc".

I bought an HP iPaq, er, 2485, I think. Just got it, with an extra GPS, as I wanted a GPS solution, and an all-in-one GPS like TomTom 510 is expensive and only a GPS. So I thought, "hey, let's get a pocket pc + GPS, so I could use it for something else".

I guess many pda's sell now for the GPS option, for the internet/email/skype option with wireless, for the all-in-a-phone, or for all of them. Otherwise, there's serious competition with very small laptops or paper-pads...

But it comes handy, because of being so small.

Now... Anybody knows how do I transfer a dvd/divx file to my pocket pc ? :confused:
(I know about the divx player, the question is more about the correct encoding).

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
O2 xda mini s PDA/mobile. (aka imate wizard) thats what i am using for browsing until my mac pro arrives :( .

not a bad PDA,windows does play up every so often but great for checking my mail and a brief surf whilst using free hotspots on my journeys. ;)

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Nokia E63

Finally ditched my crap-ass razr and got a work phone... it's pretty darn sweet so far and works great with iCal...

errr...E62 rather.

Sinsinnati

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
U.S.A.
waremaster said:
I have a Dell Axim, HP iPaq, Tungsten C, Sharp Zaurus 5500, Treo 650 and a XV6700. So I wont answer the poll since I dont see an all of the above OS option lol :D

You have too much money to blow.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I've got an HP PocketPC from about five years ago in a drawer somewhere. I used it for a month or so but then ended up using my phone instead. If my model had wifi I might have used it for a bit longer but it just wasn't useful enough when compared to a mobile phone.

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
I have the Cingular 8125. It syncs great with my Mac Pro though the Missing Sync. I have not had any complaints with the phone part, the PDA part has issues, like you can't actually close the program without going into the settings and closing all the "running programs." It has little annoyances, but over I really like it.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
techster85 said:
I have not had any complaints with the phone part, the PDA part has issues, like you can't actually close the program without going into the settings and closing all the "running programs."

This seems to be a feature of Windows Mobile, it's not even linked to one type of pda alone... :rolleyes:
But there's a piece of software somewhere to solve it - although I don't know the name anymore, and boy I could use it too on my HP.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I have the Cingular 8125. It syncs great with my Mac Pro though the Missing Sync. I have not had any complaints with the phone part, the PDA part has issues, like you can't actually close the program without going into the settings and closing all the "running programs." It has little annoyances, but over I really like it.

Magic button...

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Yep I have a fujitsu siemens n520 pda, bought mainly for the integrated gps and nav software. Also thinking long term as a remote for tv etc :)

I also have a symbian based phone - se p900, soon to be replaced by a p990 or if one comes out at mwsf possibly an iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.