Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
hey guys, please I'd like your opinion!
I bough the amd radeon pro wx 7100 and will be delivered to me in few days.
Im on Mac Pro 5.1 2010 with an ATI radeon 5770, Im using one bay of drives with a SSD, put another 2.5 hd in the second bay of DVD.

I was reading: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-pro-wx-7100.c2872
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 18.52.43.png

do you think I need extra power? make the PIXLAS mode ?
or just with one 6 pin attached it will work fine?
I just work with FXPX, compressor, PS, AI, LRc, not too heavy programs as Maya,

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Im on Mac Pro 5.1 2010 with an ATI radeon 5770, Im using one bay of drives with a SSD, put another 2.5 hd in the second bay of DVD.

View attachment 961575

It's the least power hungry Polaris 10 (RX 480/580) GPU, with just one PCIe 6-pin power input.

The best way to power it is to get a dual mini-PCIe 6-pin to 6-pin cable to feed it, it's not a common cable nowadays and will take some search to find one.

• Love
Reactions: LABANA and Eddu Vaz

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
It's the least power hungry Polaris 10 (RX 480/580) GPU, with just one PCIe 6-pin power input.

The best way to power it is to get a dual mini-PCIe 6-pin to 6-pin cable to feed it, it's not a common cable nowadays and will take some search to find one.
hey tsialex thanxs for you reply bro,

so what I thought interesting in this GP:
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 21.35.31.png

has one 6 pin,

I read the mod to push more power, but how this one isnt a gamer but its a workstation GP, I get lost.
some articles in the internet says it use 130W.

I was thinking in get power from some sata bay with the adaptor sata 6 pin, or , if it is kinda dangerous I'll try do to the mod in power unit to attach the radeon pro w7100

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hey tsialex thanxs for you reply bro,

so what I thought interesting in this GP: View attachment 961605
has one 6 pin,

I read the mod to push more power, but how this one isnt a gamer but its a workstation GP, I get lost.
some articles in the internet says it use 130W.

I was thinking in get power from some sata bay with the adaptor sata 6 pin, or , if it is kinda dangerous I'll try do to the mod in power unit to attach the radeon pro w7100
130W it's the total TDP for the card, that includes the PCIe slot power and 6-pin power input. This TDP is very conservative and tests show that will draw more power when running benchmarks. This card is the workstation version of the reference RX 480, a card that have excessive power draw from the PCIe slot and causes SMC power shutdowns when installed in a Mac Pro.

Buy a dual mini-PCIe 6-pin to 6-pin cable or even an eVGA PowerLink to power it, use booth AUX Power Boost A and B to power the PowerLink (use two 6-pin to mini 6-pin cables) if you gonna use it full throttle all the time, it's what people with reference RX 480 do to prevent any SMC power shutdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddu Vaz

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
hmmm I google it, evga is not an option too expansive here in Brazil, how im pretending work with the both cards here, and if u're saying the power drain is a reality and shutdown MP,

I'm thinking now In put the power cord directly. in the power supply! is better isnt it ?

cause I'll have just one aux free:
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 22.10.11.png

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hmmm I google it, evga is not an option too expansive here in Brazil, how im pretending work with the both cards here, and if u're saying the power drain is a reality and shutdown MP,

I'm thinking now In put the power cord directly. in the power supply! is better isnt it ?

cause I'll have just one aux free:
View attachment 961612
First, you can't power feed both cards safely without mods. Second, Mojave don't support HD 5770 any more - even if you feed both cards correctly modding the PSU, you will be limited to High Sierra (where HD 5770 and WX 7100 are both supported) and it's not possible to use hardware assisted video encoding/decoding, what is normally called AMD hardware acceleration. This is a must with FCPx/Resolve.

Your idea was flawed from the start, you didn't take HD 5770 driver support in consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddu Vaz

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
great alert u gave me bro,
so, the os isnt a trouble, I was using 10.13.6 in my MBP fcpx is 10.4.4 and im not edit 4k.
ill start videos for instagram stories.

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 22.28.08.png

as im in single xeon, and the hardware is kinda old I didnt thought would be possible the AMD hardware acceleration here, how I had several troubles in MPB and radeon 5770m it fried 3 times =/ ( nw is dead until I fix)
I was not thinking in force too hard hardcore this Mac, just Design in AI,PS and lite videos on FCPX.

and how this board ill be here in Friday I was thinking in connect here to see if is everything ok.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
great alert u gave me bro,
so, the os isnt a trouble, I was using 10.13.6 in my MBP fcpx is 10.4.4 and im not edit 4k.
ill start videos for instagram stories.

View attachment 961615

as im in single xeon, and the hardware is kinda old I didnt thought would be possible the AMD hardware acceleration here, how I had several troubles in MPB and radeon 5770m it fried 3 times =/ ( nw is dead until I fix)
I was not thinking in force too hard hardcore this Mac, just Design in AI,PS and lite videos on FCPX.

and how this board ill be here in Friday I was thinking in connect here to see if is everything ok.
You can test the WX7100 with the original HD 5770 cable, but forget High Sierra and the idea of using both cards.

Upgrade your firmware to the Mojave requirements, install Mojave, enable AMD hardware acceleration and be happy with your extremely fast video encoding/decoding. Read the first post of the thread below to know what you need to do to install Mojave:

Later, install a X5680 or a X5690 to your single CPU tray and get two more cores plus faster overall CPUs.

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
great, im looking here.
Boot ROM Version: MP51.0085.B00

so I believe is juts take off 5770 plug the pro 7100 and update
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 22.59.06.png

the system made an auto download =/

now im sad about 5770 I thought could have 9GB and will have to buy new cables =

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
great, im looking here.
Boot ROM Version: MP51.0085.B00

so I believe is juts take off 5770 plug the pro 7100 and update View attachment 961628

the system made an auto download =/

now im sad about 5770 I thought could have 9GB and will have to buy new cables =
Nope, not going to work, HD 5770 is needed until you have MP51.0089.B00.

Read again the first post I linked above, pay attention to it since there are several pitfalls in the process of upgrading the Mac Pro firmware. Everything you need to know is linked here, read the posts linked.

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Nope, not going to work, HD 5770 is needed until you have MP51.0089.B00.

Read again the first post I linked above, pay attention to it since there are several pitfalls in the process of upgrading the Mac Pro firmware. Everything you need to know is linked here, read the posts linked.
wow dude, im reading the other post, I think later ill reply u there,

anyway so as im on 10.13.6 with the 5770 do u believe just for test I can plug the w7100 here to see if it working and than study more to do the firmware flash?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
wow dude, im reading the other post, I think later ill reply u there,

anyway so as im on 10.13.6 with the 5770 do u believe just for test I can plug the w7100 here to see if it working and than study more to do the firmware flash?
You can do it, but I'd do a clean install of High Sierra 10.13.6 to not depend on the original GPU anymore. Anyway, all the steps are written on the fist post of the thread linked.

TomMuc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2019
Munich, Bavaria

View attachment 961575

the wx7100 runs fine on our mac pros 4.1/5.1 with only one external 6pin and splits power draw excellent between both rails. moreover it's funny that with this card the 12 year old mac is able to play ms flight simulator 2020 with high settings in wqhd with acceptable fps.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 16.35.06.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-16 um 16.35.06.png
    279.1 KB · Views: 220

Max Black

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
I just installed the Amd Radeon PRO WX7100, running Mojave Mac Pro 5.1 16Gig Ram, 6 core 3.33, It gave me a blank screen after the chime, after couple of restarts it finally came on and it shows that it is supported, after some use, I restarted and again the same problem. I know there is no boot screen but there must be reason it is doing this. I have Apple Cinema display and the mini display has an adapter to the card. It is also powered inside with 6pin cable please see photos. Is there a way to fix this. Could it be a power issue ? Will this card work on El Capitan ?

Attachments

• GPU.png
    GPU.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 180

TomMuc

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2019
Munich, Bavaria
we have a similar config (FW 144.0.0.0.0) and it works just fine (high sierra/mojave/catalina/win7/win10) with cinema displays or eizo.
no - won't work with el capitan. the by far best option is mojave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Black

Max Black

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
we have a similar config (FW 144.0.0.0.0) and it works just fine (high sierra/mojave/catalina/win7/win10) with cinema displays or eizo.
no - won't work with el capitan. the by far best option is mojave.
Thank you, just figured it out and saw this email.
I finally took out all the drives and just used Nvme SSD that has Mojave that is in the pci slot, when I put boot up from that the first time, and add HDD in the bays(shut down and restart) , where some of them have old OSx like Lion or panther on those bays, every time it boot up it wont try to boot up from the older drives, but as soon as I put the drive that has El Capitan and I choose that as start up disc, it shows only the black screen. I hope it makes sense, but I guess best just to have Mojave first after you install this card, and you can add other HDD after if you have old Osx on them, it wont try to boot from them every time you restart. I have two original HDD from two different macs that I never used but only for audio and video storage this is why I was running into this problem. Thank You again. This forum has been extremely helpful and learned a lot as well. Cheers.

Reactions: Eddu Vaz and TomMuc

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I finally took out all the drives and just used Nvme SSD that has Mojave that is in the pci slot, when I put boot up from that the first time, and add HDD in the bays(shut down and restart) , where some of them have old OSx like Lion or panther on those bays, every time it boot up it wont try to boot up from the older drives, but as soon as I put the drive that has El Capitan and I choose that as start up disc, it shows only the black screen. I hope it makes sense, but I guess best just to have Mojave first after you install this card, and you can add other HDD after if you have old Osx on them, it wont try to boot from them every time you restart. I have two original HDD from two different macs that I never used but only for audio and video storage this is why I was running into this problem. Thank You again. This forum has been extremely helpful and learned a lot as well. Cheers.
You GPU is supported only AFTER 10.12.5 - so you can boot 10.12.6 to Big Sur. Anything earlier will give you a black screen and your Mac Pro will only work via screen sharing.

Last edited:

Eddu Vaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2020
Now im on Mojave 10.14.6 , serious thinking to up to Big Sur.
about the GPU: I made no flash upgrad on the Wxpro, from start power until password screen is a blind flight, me too on black screen, and run 2 monitors here. with an old ATI has the boot screen, and if I need to to something I swap the cards ( the little power cord I didn't found it on Brasil yet ).

since I Put it here, a good GPU, render too but too fast things on FCPX and also renders too fast 8k video, the photoshop and illustrator works amazing.\
and I don't like gaming, tested, deus ex (2,3) worked very very well, simcity complete edition too,

to work amazing, id like some Vega 16gb, or another to hardworking but prices here are too high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.