Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alotofproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2022
Recently, I tried to install a powercolour rx580 into a mac pro, which made the computer, or at least the the gpu section stop working. The fans would turn but all a cables I tried didnt work, and the monitor didnt turn on. I'm willing to admit that I may have been rough and made the cable connectors stop working, but I cant be sure, as all tutorials that ive seen used a pulse or sapphire nitro+. If anyone can provide advice to whether it's incompatible or otherwise then that would be amazing. Thank you.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Any RX-580 that has a single 8 pin connector can be run in a mac pro 4.1 - 5.1 using a dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin cable. if the RX-580 has an 8 pin + a 6 pin connection it means it draws more power than the dual mini 6 pin logic board connections can provide.

Your options are dual mini 6 pin cable to single 8 pin on GPU with a dual SATA power cable from CD drive bay in the top of Mac pro to 6 pin GPU or you carry out the Pixlas mod which would allow you enough power to run a dual 8 pin GPU.

If you draw to much power from the dual mini 6 pin back plain connections, you risk damaging the back plain and causing shut downs and instability.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I thought I read some negative reviews of the Powercolor RX 580 in the Mac Pro, but it's been some years.

The real question is what power connectors the card has and how you're connecting them to your Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.