Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xadros

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Hi, how can I please downgrade 4.2.1 to iOS3 on ipod touch 2g for easiest way? Thank you.

Jr. Pac

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
Should be fairly straightforward. Download the iOS 3 IPSW, put the phone into DFU and iTunes restore to iOS 3.

If I remember correctly, the 2G iPod does not use SHSH blobs.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
To add a little more info, the original 2nd generation iPod touch (MB model) does not need SHSH blobs yes. I've successfully downgraded mine from 4.2.1 to 3.1.2/3 a few times for older app compatibility.

The 2nd revision of the 2g iPod touch (MC model, 8GB only) has a newer bootrom shared with the 3rd generation and it does need SHSH I believe. They may have found a way around it by now but not that I know of off the top of my head.

Shouldn't be too hard to grab the IPSW, put it in DFU mode and restore with iTunes, but you might need to install an older version or do it offline, not sure how iTunes 12 handles it. But it can be done.

MB model, was on 4.2.1, downgraded to 3.1.3.
aJKE1U1l.jpg

xadros

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Thanks guys! I have MB model but I tried it on Mac with itunes 12 and on pc with itunes 12 and itunes 9 but I always get 3194 error, even if I followed some tutorials,where people say that I need to rename host file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.