Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I need to do some comparison testing of an app on 11.1b1 (installed on my MacBook Pro M1) vs 11.0.1 release. Alas I upgraded before installing another partition or disk with the release version.
As usual for macOS, you cannot install an older version from the newer running version. But you used to be able to install an older version supporting the hardware from USB. This did not work.
I installed 11.01 on an external disk on another MacBook but it also refused to boot.

Does anybody have any pointer on what to try next?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Could not downgrade. But ended up "side grading" on another volume for future work. A second Big Sur volume will become the designated Beta once 11.1 goes final on the main volume.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
IIRC, the initial releases of Big Sur doesn't support M1 that well in terms of reinstalling or downgrading on other partitions. macOS 11.1 is supposed to be the first one that does; that's why if you read the release notes for the last beta, it mentions that part.

For now, your best option is to wait it out as you said.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
See the release notes for beta 2 released yesterday.
That was concerning booting back. This failed on trying to install. Setting up a 2nd 11.1b2 volume worked like a charm.
Going forward that will be my beta volume after 11.2 releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.