Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is that...

• Real thing?

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Nagging?

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nitpicking?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
So, I am somehow not happy with my new iPhone 14 256 (non-pro).
There are two reasons:
  • blurry camera which is not defect of this particular item but a feature of this model. It seems it is called shallow focus.
  • 60 Hz LED display, that makes looking at text scrolling somehow painful. I don't remember it bothered me on previous IPS-screen phones, and right now I am typing on IPS 60Hz MBP. With lack of sleeping and too much of screen time, probably,
I think to downgrade to regular iPhone 11 128... I just recently sold 11/64 which was not enough due to storage constraints, however my main SE2 128 was close to the cap.

I that all really a thing or am I just nagging and nitpicking for no real reason?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I don't think you're being nitpicky but it sounds like you would repurchase an iPhone 11? At this point, I would consider returning your 14 for a 14 pro in the same storage size. It's $200 more but you get significant improvements for that cash including 120hz and much better cameras which are the concerns you cited.

If you still had your iPhone 11 then you could just go back to that at no cost but it makes no sense to buy another one now in my opinion.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
You made a mistake getting the regular 14. But at least it has a much faster chip and other new software features unavailable to some older devices. So it would be an even bigger mistake to go all the way back to a 11.

My advice is to either suck it up or get rid of it and get the 14 Pro instead. Or if you want to save a little money, get a refurbished 13 Pro.

Definitely forget about non-pro iPhones forever. You have proven to yourself that you don't like them.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
It's $200 more but you get significant improvements for that cash including 120hz and much better cameras which are the concerns you cited.
I have got 14 256 as the bank's special offer for credit card reward points, unfortunately I can't return it as it is unpacked already.
Monetary equivalent of those points was USD 800. Price is specially good if paying full amount in points. My points balance allowed me to choose base MacBook Pro 14" and iPhone 14-256 all together :)

Now buying Pro for live money would be $400-500 more for me.

My advice is to either suck it up or get rid of it and get the 14 Pro instead. Or if you want to save a little money, get a refurbished 13 Pro.

Definitely forget about non-pro iPhones forever. You have proven to yourself that you don't like them.
I never was a fan of mobile phones. I can afford it financially, but I can't allow that for myself morally. A phone priced nearly to good laptop money... this does not look right for me. Usually I buy phones not more than 10% of my monthly net income, sometimes I stretch that to somewhat more :)

Though I bought 256 Gb iPhone 11Pro in 2020 for my wife, but she is artist and designer, so she is target audience of "Pro".

Ha! Earlier I had one more constraint for mobile phone - it had to fit into front pocket of rocker jacket. Nowadays only SE will qualify there :D

Reactions: Daino92

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I never was a fan of mobile phones. I can afford it financially, but I can't allow that for myself morally. A phone priced nearly to good laptop money... this does not look right for me. Usually I buy phones not more than 10% of my monthly net income, sometimes I stretch that to somewhat more :)

Though I bought 256 Gb iPhone 11Pro in 2020 for my wife, but she is artist and designer, so she is target audience of "Pro".

Ha! Earlier I had one more constraint for mobile phone - it had to fit into front pocket of rocker jacket. Nowadays only SE will qualify there :D

I bought 1 iphone SE (2016) for call and messages, other consuming stuffs are handled by my iPad. Much bigger screen for visuality.

Reactions: Saturn007

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Nothing wrong with the 11. It’s more comfortable to handle and the screen is definitely easier on the eyes. I’m personally not impressed with the bulky pro models. The weight and bulkieness out weigh the benefits, for me anyway

Reactions: Saturn007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.