Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augu2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Hi,

I recently installed Lion in my 2008 MBP (older model, not unibody), and it runs significantly slower than it used to do under Leopard. The graphics are really slow, and in general everything runs much slower now. I am thinking about downgrading to Leopard, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it normal that my MBP cannot handle Lion or is there something wrong with my system?

2. In case I do downgrade, is it just as simple as sticking the Leopard dvd, formatting my Mac from Disk Utility and installing the older system? Is there any special steps to do to downgrade?

3. If I have a current time machine backup, which I did under Lion, can I restore that backup later once downgraded to Leopard? It would be really bad not to be able to get my files and system preferences back!!!

Thanks!!!

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Check your RAM usage in Activity Monitor. I'd suggest that 4GB is the minimum RAM to run Lion usefully.

I found performance to be similar to Snow Leopard on my old 2008 aluminium MacBook with 4GB RAM, although Lion appears to be more RAM hungry for a similar workload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.