Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jstolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Under an Apple Tree
I have installed Mojave, on my unsupport iMac 9.1. But now I want to downgrade again to the best supported system. The problem is that I don't have El Capitan under my Mac AppStore downloads because it was downloaded through another Apple ID that I don't have access to and I can't download it directly from the AppStore since Mojave doesn't allow me that. Otherwise I had El Capitan on a USB key, but got it overwritten with Mojave. Beautiful.

Does anyone have good advice on what to do?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
One option: Reboot option key, then restore to origial osx that came with your imac via internets.
I need to do the same thing for the umpteenth time soon!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One option: Reboot option key, then restore to origial osx that came with your imac via internets.
I need to do the same thing for the umpteenth time soon!
OP has an iMac9,1, which is a 2009 iMac. Those do not support internet recovery --- too old.

jstolt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Under an Apple Tree

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I have installed Mojave, on my unsupport iMac 9.1. But now I want to downgrade again to the best supported system. The problem is that I don't have El Capitan under my Mac AppStore downloads because it was downloaded through another Apple ID that I don't have access to and I can't download it directly from the AppStore since Mojave doesn't allow me that. Otherwise I had El Capitan on a USB key, but got it overwritten with Mojave. Beautiful.

Does anyone have good advice on what to do?
Create a bootable usb drive. Here’s the link for a full version of El Cap. And the second link is for directions. Good luck! https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-capitan/id1147835434?ls=1&mt=12

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Please, be aware that El Capitan is becoming more obsolete with every day.
If your Mac is having problems with Mojave, better try Sierra or High Sierra.
OP apparently wants to return to a supported system. The iMac9,1 does not natively support either Sierra or High Sierra, so El Capitan would be the maximum that the OP wants now.

Reactions: theapplehead

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I have a 2015 13" MBP that had El Cap on it and all the time machine backups were from that, I rebooted with he time machine (WD Easy Store) USB plugged in and did the Cmd R I believe and went through the prompts of setting up or restoring from a Time Machine back up, took about 40 minutes but it works just fine. Did it twice with no hiccups at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.