Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2thaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I have OSX 10.9.5, itunes 12.6.2.20 and iphone 6S with 11.0., which I'm really hating right now because of how the battery is draining so much, apps just freeze, phone retarts itself and the list goes on. Before I updated to 11.0.3 I did backup my IOS to 10.3.X ( cannot remember the last IOS I was on before I upgraded to IOS 11). Went online to see a few tutorials on how to downgrade from IOS 11 to 10.X.X by downloading IPSW file 10.3.3, 10.3.2 and 10.3.1 with no luck im stuck in itunes restore.

I had my iphone plugged into itunes and I held down options key and click upgrade to select my IPSW file, which i picked 10.3.3. It extracted the file and look like it was going to update then itunes gave me a error of "iphone could not be updated, decline to authorize this image on this device for user". pretty much i have a brick phone. I dont want to restore it to IOS 11.0.3 im afraid ill permantely be stuck on ios 11 and cannot go back at all.

anyone have any ideas? i saw this program called recboot but looks kind of shady.
But then again a fresh install might do the trick of iphone6s acting up.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Try IOS 11.1 public beta 3.....or if you insist on going back to 10.3.3, put you phone to DFU first and than choose the downloaded 10.3.3. That way you should be able to restore to it.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
Put your iPhone in DFU mode

1. Plug in your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad to your Mac or Windows PC.
  2. Make sure iTunes is running.
  3. Turn Off your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad if it isn't already.
    1. Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side of the device for 3 seconds.
    2. Swipe the slide to power off slider to the right.
  4. Press and hold down the On/Off button on the right side (iPhone 6 or later) or top (all other iPhones, iPods, and iPads) of your device for 3 seconds.
  5. Press and hold down the Home button on the front of your device while stillholding down the On/Off button.
  6. Keep holding both buttons down for 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  7. Let go of the On/Off Button but keep holding the Home button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plug into iTunes" screen, then you've held it too long and will need to start again.)
  8. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone should now be in DFU mode.
At this point, iTunes should show you an alert saying it's detected your iPhone and will allow it to be restored.

You should see black screen (without iTunes logo, if you see the logo, you are in recovery mode and should try again).

Click on the Alt/Option key on Mac and than restore button in iTunes and select 10.3.3 ipsw.

Reactions: bbrks

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2017
Just a small thing :) and this is the explanation

I have explained this in another thread. The touch controller (IC) in iPhone 6S is integrated on the screen. This has caused that people with an iPhone 6S whose screen was replaced by aftermarket screens are not compatible with iOS11. You can update, but your screen is unresponsive to touch. The only solution is to replace the screen again with an Apple original one or to downgrade to iOS 10. There are presumably thousands of people all over the world in this situation (I am one of them), and I guess they are tired of complains from people who upgraded and their phone did not work. I guess they will address this issue soon. In the meanwhile, they let people downgrade only for this model.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...on-iphone-6s-october-5.2075582/#post-25183843

Reactions: nordique

vicky.dhas17

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2018
He got it to work because iOS 10.3.3 was still being signed November 4th 2017. It’s not signed anymore so it’s not possible to downgrade.

Ok so now my phone actually just junk spare parts thanks to apple, the first batter gone, then touch gone now restore phone stuck at setup new phone as i cant touch screen to continue. Apple says this is not IOS issue. lol Apple sucks in short

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Ok so now my phone actually just junk spare parts thanks to apple, the first batter gone, then touch gone now restore phone stuck at setup new phone as i cant touch screen to continue. Apple says this is not IOS issue. lol Apple sucks in short
Take it to the Apple store see if they can fix it.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
You should get your device looked at.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.