Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
OK, I don't have an iPad 1, but is there an easy way to downgrade an iPad 1 to iOS 3.2 (which was its original OS)? Or any other version of 3.2 (3.2.1, 3.2.2, etc.)? I have found many guides to this, but many were from 2010 and I assume the information is out-of-date.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
You can't. Apple only signs 5.1.1 for the original ipad. You might be able to find some unofficial/hacked images as I think they could still work around it then, but probably not worth it.

Reactions: max2

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
OK, I don't have an iPad 1, but is there an easy way to downgrade an iPad 1 to iOS 3.2 (which was its original OS)? Or any other version of 3.2 (3.2.1, 3.2.2, etc.)? I have found many guides to this, but many were from 2010 and I assume the information is out-of-date.
3.2.2 was actually a great battery saver...iMO.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Okay, I'm really inexperienced with this, and I have no idea what you mean.

If you have no idea what SHSH is, then you didn't save it, so you can't downgrade your iPad.

Basically, each device on each firmware has a unique SHSH. It's like a software key that says it's ok to install a particular version of iOS. So if you want to downgrade to say, iOS 3.2, you had to save the SHSH for your device for iOS 3.2 back when Apple was still signing 3.2.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Don't quote me on this but I believe it's possible to downgrade without SHSH by doing a tethered downgrade.

It is possible to do it on an iPhone 4 by putting it in PwnDFU mode and then restoring via iTunes with a custom .ipsw using the limera1n BootROM exploit. The iPad 1 use the A4 chip just like the iPhone 4 so you should be able to downgrade.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Don't quote me on this but I believe it's possible to downgrade without SHSH by doing a tethered downgrade.

It is possible to do it on an iPhone 4 by putting it in PwnDFU mode and then restoring via iTunes with a custom .ipsw using the limera1n BootROM exploit. The iPad 1 use the A4 chip just like the iPhone 4 so you should be able to downgrade.
Are you saying that I can just put the iPad into DFU mode, plug it into iTunes, and restore to 3.2?

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Are you saying that I can just put the iPad into DFU mode, plug it into iTunes, and restore to 3.2?
Not really, you have to put it in PwnDFU mode (with a tool I can't remember the name), create a custom firmware with a specific tool like Sund0wn, dowgrade your iTunes (again I can't remember to which version exactly) then restore with iTunes using the custom firmware (.ipsw) you created and finally use redsn0w to boot your device.

Do some research about this on Google because I can't remember the exact tools and steps you need. It worked for the iPhone 4, I downgraded one from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 4 so it should work with iPad 1 aswell.

Also, it's a tethered downgrade which mean you will have to plug your iPad into a computer and run the redsn0w tool again every time the battery die or you power it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.