Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minutia-freesia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
Hi, everyone.

Quick question. I have a MacBook Pro 2021 and I am new to macOS. I really want to try Sonoma, but if I upgrade to it and I don’t like it, what is the best method to downgrade my MBP back to factory settings?

Thank you in advance. 😅

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I recommend you install Sonoma on an external drive and boot from the external. This way you keep your current Monterey install intact and try out Sonoma first. If you like, upgrade Monterey. If you don’t like, erase the external drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I second the approach outlined by Bigwaff above.

DON'T experiment with a beta OS on "your main drive" unless you're absolutely willing to "commit to it" -- or there could be problems.

Want to try Sonoma?
Then spend about $30 for a small external 2.5" SSD and a USB3 enclosure.
Install the beta OS onto the external drive for the purposes of "experimentation".

If things don't work out as planned, then you can just erase the external SSD and your main drive will still be "intact, as it was".

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I'm going back to Monterey, on a MacBook Air m1 2020 from Sonoma because in witnessing too many small bugs.
if anyone else is in the same boat, please make sure you have a physical copy of Page, Number and keynote
because  will not offer these for Monterey 12 on the App store.
You can retrieve these and other older versions on you account page, App Store.
but play that safe and make the extra copy.

my dilemma is an either using a time machine back up or fresh install with a usb-c thumb drive.
so I will try this on my other MBP_12 using OCLP first.

Reactions: minutia-freesia

RumorChaser

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2023
If you do decide to in place upgrade your main OS, make sure to do a time machine backup. You cannot downgrade the OS without wiping the data drive. But you can wipe the data drive and install Monterey then restore your data from the time machine.

Reactions: minutia-freesia

mikezang

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Hi, everyone.

Quick question. I have a MacBook Pro 2021 and I am new to macOS. I really want to try Sonoma, but if I upgrade to it and I don’t like it, what is the best method to downgrade my MBP back to factory settings?

Thank you in advance. 😅
Can you tell me why you don't like Sonoma? I tried to upgrade Monterey to Sonoma....

minutia-freesia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
Can you tell me why you don't like Sonoma? I tried to upgrade Monterey to Sonoma....
Its not that I don't like Sonoma, I just want to try it out and see if everything works. I see a lot of people complaining after upgrading, whether its iOS or macOS.

Troubleshooting the issues is just too much of a headache.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.