Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave_O

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a way to downgrade to Mojave that will restore the firmware on a Mac Mini to those versions that shipped with the Mac, or to those that the upgrade to Mojave installed?

Dave_O

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks, I didn't realize that parts of an OS upgrade were not reversable.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Not only that, but if you have a newer 2016+ rMBP, macMini / MacBook Air 2018+, or iMac Pro, the T2's BridgeOS gets updated as well.

If you attempt to do so, at worst you will render your Mac (if it's one of the ones above) unbootable.

At best if you pick the wrong older Mojave version to restore, like if you have a backup from before one of the Mojave Supplemental updates, you might wind up with an update that endlessly can't install because the updater doesn't recognize the Catalina firmware.

It's kind of frustrating to see all the junior Mac help websites parrot the steps to doing Catalina -> Mojave downgrades without mentioning this potentially fatal issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave_O

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
My machine can't seem to take macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2. Do you think it's because of the firmware Catalina installed?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My machine can't seem to take macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update 2. Do you think it's because of the firmware Catalina installed?
No, the Catalina firmware is backwards compatible. What build of 10.14.6 is installed on your computer?

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
Ok, thanks I'll give that a shot. At the moment a search for Mojave in the app store yields no OS and a direct link to Mojave in the app store gives me a Cannot Connect To App Store message. I'll try in an hour.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok, thanks I'll give that a shot. At the moment a search for Mojave in the app store yields no OS and a direct link to Mojave in the app store gives me a Cannot Connect To App Store message. I'll try in an hour.
Apple's had some network issues for the last week or so, unfortunately. This may also be why your supplemental update is failing.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can't re-install old firmware, but you CAN still run Mojave on a Mac that has been "touched by" Catalina.

I can "dual-boot" my 2018 Mini from either Mojave or Catalina.

I DID NOT install Catalina onto the internal drive.
Instead, I installed it onto an external USB3 SSD. Boots and runs ok from that.

But Catalina offers me nothing, and "takes much away" (all the 32-bit apps I use and prefer).
I'll not be upgrading "beyond Mojave" any time soon.
Perhaps not for 5-6 years, if I can get away with it.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
I just bought a late 2018 Mac Mini new from B&H Photo. It's has an i3 processor. It came with Big Sur installed. I need to run Mojave. Can this be done? I know the Late 2018 Minis did come with Mojave.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Have Mojave, Sierra, High Sierra and El Capitan on external SSD and boot from them whenever needed. Mountain Lion still on the internal Fusion Drive of my old 2013 iMac (the one with the FD was formatted with 128 G of FD). This iMac boots now with Catalina on another SSD. Works flawlessly until now but it's the end of the road for this i5 machine. BTW, no problem, zero, nada, with it since purchase in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.