Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
I foolishly believed Apple that Ventura is nice, so I upgraded not making time machine backup prior to that. Little did I know... Can't believe now how bad it is compared to Monterey!

Now I simply want to get back to Monterey. I know how to do that, but I've got many custom settings and tweaks (in finder, dock, etc) I need to preserve (and apps/files of course, but most of them could be simply copied).

I know there's no straight way to roll out backup from newer OS to and older one, those thingies with structure changes and so on, but is there a hack? At least making newer backup visible for installer in restore process.
I don't believe there are such major updates between Monterey and Ventura.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I recommend that instead of using time machine for this "downward backup", that you try using SuperDuper (or CarbonCopyCloner) instead.

SD can be downloaded here:
It's FREE to use for your purposes -- also very easy to understand if you've never used it before.

I'm thinking that you might also have to create a bootable USB flash drive in order to install "from scratch".

A lesson for the future:
One should not blindly upgrade one's primary drive, unless one knows that the upgrade is going to take him to where he wants to be.

If you want to experiment with a new version of the OS before you "commit" to it, get a CHEAP 128gb 2.5" SSD (you can buy these for less than $20), and a 2.5" USB3 enclosure.

Then, install the new OS onto the EXTERNAL drive.
Now you can fool with it to see if it will work for you.
If it doesn't, YOU HAVEN'T TOUCHED your "main drive".

I've done this many times with new OS's...

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Yes, you're right. I simply lost the grip not waiting for such a poor performance with virtually identical feature set. Not toughest lessen remembering iOS 16 though ;D
Do I get it right, that after backing up I should install Monterey, boot from backup and transfer backup back onto the system, and all the compatible setting will revert?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't know whether setup assistant will "agree" to import data from "newer-to-older" or not.
All you can do is to try.
I think the chances of success will be better with a cloned backup rather than time machine.

Do you intend to create a NEW account?
Or will you try to migrate the "previous" OLD account "back"?

I would try migrating the old account first.
It -might- bring settings along with it.

Reactions: Intenditore

Intenditore

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Do you intend to create a NEW account?
Or will you try to migrate the "previous" OLD account "back"?
I'd preserve/restore old account for sure.
Thanks, I will try that out as soon as I'll have a time. Will write back afterwards

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I know how to do that, but I've got many custom settings and tweaks (in finder, dock, etc) I need to preserve (and apps/files of course, but most of them could be simply copied).
Sorry to say it, but you will find it difficult to restore your settings and tweaks. Migration Assistant will not be happy to restore ~/Library from newer macOS to older macOS. This will be true whether your backup is TM or CCC. And just copying subfolders of ~/Library (and /Library) will be hit and miss - best of luck!

It will be straightforward to restore folders of documents, photos, etc.

Reactions: Intenditore

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It will be straightforward to restore folders of documents, photos, etc.
One exception to that is if you have a Photos.app library which has been converted to a newer version of Photos. The older version of Photos may malfunction if it has to open a library.

Other apps that work on "libraries" of files may be similarly limited. For example, a Music.app library might not be readable by the older Music app.

MrScratchHook

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2022
United States
I foolishly believed Apple that Ventura is nice, so I upgraded not making time machine backup prior to that. Little did I know... Can't believe now how bad it is compared to Monterey!

Now I simply want to get back to Monterey. I know how to do that, but I've got many custom settings and tweaks (in finder, dock, etc) I need to preserve (and apps/files of course, but most of them could be simply copied).

I know there's no straight way to roll out backup from newer OS to and older one, those thingies with structure changes and so on, but is there a hack? At least making newer backup visible for installer in restore process.
I don't believe there are such major updates between Monterey and Ventura.
i ran into this very same problem with ventura, just didnt like the layout and had double/quadruple mouse clicking issues. i tried to downgrade but got an error saying this wasnt possible, i had to boot into terminal, wipe the ssd, then boot into usb installer with monterey. that back up will probably bring issues, just bite the bullet and re-do the settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.