Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wingennis

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
Northern Arizona
Reviving the thread in support. I am-at this moment-transferring data from my 14 Pro Max to a new 13 mini. I upgraded to the 14PM from an identical 13 mini and have spent all the time from launch trying to convince myself to appreciate all the 14 Pro series offers. In the end, I miss the size and weight of the mini more than I can appreciate my 14PM. Not sure if I'll keep the 14PM as a back up or trade it in when Apple accepts that model🥳

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Reviving the thread in support. I am-at this moment-transferring data from my 14 Pro Max to a new 13 mini. I upgraded to the 14PM from an identical 13 mini and have spent all the time from launch trying to convince myself to appreciate all the 14 Pro series offers. In the end, I miss the size and weight of the mini more than I can appreciate my 14PM. Not sure if I'll keep the 14PM as a back up or trade it in when Apple accepts that model🥳
How about owning a 14? That would be a great middle gap between the 13 Mini and the 14PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: one more

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I miss my 12 mini terribly. I kinda regret selling it. Now I want a 13 mini so bad. :rolleyes:
go ahead and get one the iPhone 13 and 14 are the same phone any ways so your really not missing much lol I this got the iPhone 13 my self

Reactions: RRC

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I have come to the conclusion that the 11 Pro with it's 5.8" display is the optimum size for a phone. 13 mini is too cramped when it comes to width when typing and battery drains too quickly.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I have come to the conclusion that the 11 Pro with it's 5.8" display is the optimum size for a phone. 13 mini is too cramped when it comes to width when typing and battery drains too quickly.

Indeed, 5.7”-5.8” screened iPhone would be perfect, especially considering that iPhone 11 Pro had a really good battery life. It’s a shame Apple scraped that size and went larger and larger.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I use swift keyboard and its superb auto correction makes fat fingering the keyboard a non issue. :)

Battery life on the other hand is a major weakness to consider. The phone loses roughly 0.25-0.5% of juice per minute - especially if watching youtube or scrolling through tiktok or instagram. :D

This is not an issue because I work from home and have chargers everywhere.

However if you spend 6-8 hours away from a fast charger, I don't recommend the 13 mini.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I was extremely happy with my 12 mini, but felt like I needed to use an iPad a lot more to supplement it. Certainly had a hard time with word processing and spreadsheets on that little iPhone. I've since replaced both with my iPhone 14 Pro. And use a MacBook for other hobby-related things. I miss the mini's form factor, but the larger screen makes using it for work much easier and it's probably better for my eyes as I don't need to squint as much. The 14 Pro's extra features (AOD, cameras, crash detection, etc) are just bonuses for me. If I ever change jobs and don't really need my iPhone for work as much, I think I'd consider switching back to a potential future mini.

I'm always near a charger at work, car or at home. And have a MagSafe battery pack from my 12 mini days, so battery life isn't a concern for me.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’ve just done the same as OP, 14 Pro to 13 mini albeit with a Pixel 7 in between to give android a test… but I’m back and couldn’t be happier!

Reactions: Breezygirl

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I've used an iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 14 Pro Max, and now I have a 14 Pro.

The 14 Pro is my favorite of them all.

The 13 Mini didn't work for me. Battery life wasn't good enough and I don't like using a MagSafe battery pack. Keyboard was cramped. Speaker too weak for podcasts. I do think however the height of the device is ideal.

If the 13 Mini works for you that's awesome. I hope Apple keeps a Mini model in the lineup moving forward and just updates it every 2-3 years.
That smaller keyboard is what also holds me back from going Mini again.I would use dictation, but SIRI still SUX!

Last edited:

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I thoroughly enjoy the scteen size of the 12/13 mini and wish that a 15 mini would be coming (with dynamic island).
Even if they pushed it to a little higher like the X/XS/11 pro 5.8 inch screen, I would definitely want it.

Reactions: Populus and heretiq

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
I am presently considering an upgrade from my 2nd gen SE to a 13 mini and this thread has confirmed my thoughts on this. Six months ago I would have gone to the store and done it but the phone lineup will change in Sept which makes me a little wary of doing so. The local Apple Store has them in stock but a local authorized seller is out of stock and does not expect any more to come in. This can be interpreted in many ways but I think I will sit tight and see what happens. The thought of it being discontinued does not worry me, a possible price drop or a 15 mini is in the back of my mind.

Last edited:

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I am presently considering an upgrade from my 2nd gen SE to a 13 mini and this thread has confirmed my thoughts on this. Six months ago I would have gone to the store and done it but the phone lineup will change in Sept which makes me a little wary of doing so. The local Apple Store has them in stock but a local authorized seller is out of stock and does not expect any more to come in. This can be interpreted in many ways but I think I will sit tight and see what happens. The thought of it being discontinued does not worry me, a possible price drop or a 15 mini is in the back of my mind.
Then just buy 3 days before announcement. You can return if they come up with 15 mini or get your price adjustment if they decrease the price.
The thing is, if they cancel out 13 mini, you will not be able to grab one from apple store starting from day 1 of the announcement.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Indeed, 5.7”-5.8” screened iPhone would be perfect, especially considering that iPhone 11 Pro had a really good battery life. It’s a shame Apple scraped that size and went larger and larger.
100% agree on this.

Sometimes I think that, due the fact that the iPhone 16 Pro and Pro Max will jump into the 6,3" and 6,9" respectively, a 5,8" iPhone 16 Pro would be super convenient. Without the periscope lenses, I don't mind them.

Dc2006ster

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Then just buy 3 days before announcement. You can return if they come up with 15 mini or get your price adjustment if they decrease the price.
The thing is, if they cancel out 13 mini, you will not be able to grab one from apple store starting from day 1 of the announcement.
Good idea. Thanks. Does it have to be 3 days or could I do it within 15 days which is the usual return time?

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Good idea. Thanks. Does it have to be 3 days or could I do it within 15 days which is the usual return time?
So effectively, you should be able to show up at Apple store on the next day of announcement and be able to return it, meaning that next day after announcement could be your day 15(if 15 is the case for you - it is 14 in US).

Reactions: Dc2006ster

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
The only iPhone I've loved more than my 13 mini is my x with that screen size. Perfect size and the curved sides made it easier to hold.
Agree 100%. I believe iPhone X marked peak iPhone. I wish Apple would bring back the form factor which delivered Pro features and one-hand usability -- not one or the other as we have with the current (misguided) 'Pro = Bigger' iPhone strategy.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Agree 100%. I believe iPhone X marked peak iPhone. I wish Apple would bring back the form factor which delivered Pro features and one-hand usability -- not one or the other as we have with the current (misguided) 'Pro = Bigger' iPhone strategy.
There is nothing ill about large iPhones. If you can only afford or only have time/energy for one device, a Plus sized iphone is perfect. Use it as a phone, consumer content on it as if it was an ipad, watch long videos/movies on it with the decent built in speakers.

When I had an 11 Pro Max I was too lazy to use my M1 iPad Pro or laptop.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
There is nothing ill about large iPhones. If you can only afford or only have time/energy for one device, a Plus sized iphone is perfect. Use it as a phone, consumer content on it as if it was an ipad, watch long videos/movies on it with the decent built in speakers.

When I had an 11 Pro Max I was too lazy to use my M1 iPad Pro or laptop.
I never said there was anything ill about large iPhones. If they work for you that’s great and I’m happy that you and others who prefer large iPhones have a model that’s right for you. What I believe is misguided is Apple’s recent strategy that forces everyone to purchase a large iPhone if they want higher quality materials or greater functionality/performance.

This was not always the case — Apple previously sold and promoted a 3 - screens strategy which I and many long-time Apple users bought into: (1) iPhone as a best-in-class *phone* experience, (2) iPad for best in class *tablet* experience, and (3) Mac for best in class *laptop/desktop* experience. With this strategy, Apple offered a range of products in each category that was differentiated largely by performance and material quality. For the iPhone you had low-cost consumer and higher-cost prosumer models offered in common small to larger sizes. In other words, you could buy either pro or non-pro model in “S, M and L” sizes.

Apple began deviating from this strategy with the iPhone 6S - its first *phablet* and fully broke with the strategy with the iPhone 12 Pro — which jumped to a 6.1” screen from the previous 5.8” screen offered by the iPhone X and iPhone 11 Pro. The trend has continued to the present where the smallest iPhone 14 has a 6.1” screen and the Pro Max has a 6.7” screen. And the rumor is that the next iPhone will have an even larger screen. At 6.1” the iPhone is no longer a one-hand device for many people.

So, those of us who embraced and prefer Apple’s three-screens strategy are now being forced to purchase larger, unwieldy and duplicative phablet devices — if we want the latest phone capabilities or premium materials. My response is no — If forced to choose, I choose the small size iPhone mini over the greater functionality and higher quality materials of the larger iPhone Pro .. and end up paying a lot less for 80% of the functionality.

The iPhone mini will be my last iPhone if this trend continues and the mini is discontinued and I don’t believe I’m alone — which I’m sure is not Apple’s intent. This is why I believe the current strategy is misguided .. but time will tell.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I never said there was anything ill about large iPhones. If they work for you that’s great and I’m happy that you and others who prefer large iPhones have a model that’s right for you. What I believe is misguided is Apple’s recent strategy that forces everyone to purchase a large iPhone if they want higher quality materials or greater functionality/performance.

This was not always the case — Apple previously sold and promoted a 3 - screens strategy which I and many long-time Apple users bought into: (1) iPhone as a best-in-class *phone* experience, (2) iPad for best in class *tablet* experience, and (3) Mac for best in class *laptop/desktop* experience. With this strategy, Apple offered a range of products in each category that was differentiated largely by performance and material quality. For the iPhone you had low-cost consumer and higher-cost prosumer models offered in common small to larger sizes. In other words, you could buy either pro or non-pro model in “S, M and L” sizes.

Apple began deviating from this strategy with the iPhone 6S - its first *phablet* and fully broke with the strategy with the iPhone 12 Pro — which jumped to a 6.1” screen from the previous 5.8” screen offered by the iPhone X and iPhone 11 Pro. The trend has continued to the present where the smallest iPhone 14 has a 6.1” screen and the Pro Max has a 6.7” screen. And the rumor is that the next iPhone will have an even larger screen. At 6.1” the iPhone is no longer a one-hand device for many people.

So, those of us who embraced and prefer Apple’s three-screens strategy are now being forced to purchase larger, unwieldy and duplicative phablet devices — if we want the latest phone capabilities or premium materials. My response is no — If forced to choose, I choose the small size iPhone mini over the greater functionality and higher quality materials of the larger iPhone Pro .. and end up paying a lot less for 80% of the functionality.

The iPhone mini will be my last iPhone if this trend continues and the mini is discontinued and I don’t believe I’m alone — which I’m sure is not Apple’s intent. This is why I believe the current strategy is misguided .. but time will tell.

As much as I love my 12 mini, I think that Apple had several reasons to increase their iPhone sizes:

1) Battery capacity/health - larger iPhones have better battery life and heat dissipation;

2) 6.1” screen size has become the smallest smartphone screen across the market, so most content gets optimised to fit these 6.1” screens and larger;

3) Apple tried keeping them small with 12 and 13 mini, but overall customer response was rather weak. I can only imagine how much effort Apple put into 12 mini engineering, fitting the same components as used in a regular 12 into a much smaller body. Kudos to Apple’s engineers. So I guess Apple were equally disappointed when minis did not have a better customer reception.

I would love Apple to bring back a modern 5.8” iPhone again, but it just looks quite unlikely, with all other phones getting larger and larger.

I am thinking of upgrading this year and faced with a choice between 13 mini (while they are still sold by Apple) or a regular iPhone 15 it is a tough call.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
As much as I love my 12 mini, I think that Apple had several reasons to increase their iPhone sizes:

1) Battery capacity/health - larger iPhones have better battery life and heat dissipation;

2) 6.1” screen size has become the smallest smartphone screen across the market, so most content gets optimised to fit these 6.1” screens and larger;

3) Apple tried keeping them small with 12 and 13 mini, but overall customer response was rather weak. I can only imagine how much effort Apple put into 12 mini engineering, fitting the same components as used in a regular 12 into a much smaller body. Kudos to Apple’s engineers. So I guess Apple were equally disappointed when minis did not have a better customer reception.

I would love Apple to bring back a modern 5.8” iPhone again, but it just looks quite unlikely, with all other phones getting larger and larger.

I am thinking of upgrading this year and faced with a choice between 13 mini (while they are still sold by Apple) or a regular iPhone 15 it is a tough call.
Good points @one more. I agree that the smaller phone form factor presents physical, thermal and logistical constraints and Apple is to be commended for the results they’ve achieved with squeezing so much functionality into the mini form factor.

Apple are truly masters of miniaturization. I think the AirPods Pro are the ultimate example of their almost magical ability to squeeze tremendous computational power plus workable battery life and thermal performance into the tiniest physical package.

I believe the availability of a premium Apple small form factor phone is a matter of product strategy vs technology or market demand because of that innovativeness plus the fact that not too long ago small form factor phones was the standard.

The market for a compact phone was there and I don’t believe it disappeared — I believe it shifted to larger phones in response to Apple’s shift to offering larger phones. But I agree that it’s unlikely that Apple will bring back a modern 5.8” phone given the apparent consumer preference for larger phones over smaller phones.

Good luck with your upcoming iPhone upgrade options and choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.