Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Is it possible to downgrade an app on an iPad?

Let me explain: I have two iPads (iPad Mini 1st gen (iOS 9), and iPad Mini 5th gen (iOS 14) and they both have an app called Pressreader.
Both iPads have Pressreader updated to the latest version (and the latest possible version on the 1st gen Ipad Mini), but for various reasons I prefer the older version (running on the 1s gen iPad Mini).
So I'm wondering if I could downgrade the one on the 5th gen. iPad Mini to the one I have on the other iPad? If it's not possible to actually get hold of the older version again, perhaps I could somehow transfer it from the older iPad to the newer one?
Alternatively, I also have an app on my Mac called iMazing. Maybe there's a way I could use it to transfer the older app over to the newer iPad?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Im not sure of the ins and outs, and I assume you’ll need the paid version, but I think IMazing should be able to do that?

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I have the paid version of iMazing (version 2.14.6).
And I've made backups of both iPads in both iTunes and iMazing (I believe the latter makes more full backups than iTunes, which I understand mostly makes references to apps so you can download them again and not the actual app-files). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Does anyone know the actual procedure of transferring the older version of an app from the 1st generation iPad Mini over to my 5th gen Mini?

Last edited:

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
Try the following steps if that help you let me know!

Step 1: Launch iTunes on your computer.

Step 2: Visit My Apps, you will get to see all the synced apps.

Step 3: Select the app icon that you want to downgrade > choose to Get Info to see the app version.
Step 4: Now, just connect your iPhone or iPad to your computer using lightning cable > click on device tab > select to choose Apps option.

Step 5: There will be a Remove button right next to the particular app that you want to downgrade, click on the Remove button, and then click on Apply.

Step 6: Once done, you will get to see the Install button located next to the app > click on the Install button > Apply > iTunes will begin syncing.

Just wait for the process to get finished and then the particular app of the older version will be on your iPhone or iPad.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Try the following steps if that help you let me know!

Step 1: Launch iTunes on your computer.

Step 2: Visit My Apps, you will get to see all the synced apps.

I'm not sure what you mean as there's no "My Apps" to be found. Here's what the left side of iTunes (12.8.3.1) on my Mac (MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6) with the iPad connected looks like:
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.04.19.png

The closest to what you describe is if I click on "File sharing", but only a handful of apps show up there and not the app I want to downgrade. I believe the apps shown here are only the ones with the ability to share files with the Mac.

Step 3: Select the app icon that you want to downgrade > choose to Get Info to see the app version.

It seems you're referring to something entirely different from the above. I can neither right-click on any of the apps for "Get info", nor can I select an app then go to the "Edit"-"Get info" menu, but that's greyed out.

in iMazing however it all looks more promising, but I'm not sure how to proceed.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Cool!
I assume this would work within a virtual Windows environment such as Virtualbox? That way I won't need to install Windows via Bootcamp (a real hassle IMHO, and a lot of extra trouble when you want to transfer files between the Windows and Mac platforms) or use a dedicated PC.

juniorcaesar

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2022
Cool!
I assume this would work within a virtual Windows environment such as Virtualbox? That way I won't need to install Windows via Bootcamp (a real hassle IMHO, and a lot of extra trouble when you want to transfer files between the Windows and Mac platforms) or use a dedicated PC.
yes, in fact i use this method on a windows 8.1 VM. it works without a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.