Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bil2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
Is it possible to downgrade the latest AppleTV 3 iOS to jailbreak it? I just got an ATV3 and I'm eager to pop XBMC or Plex on it to play MKV files without the need to convert.

Which leads me to my next question... if it is possible to downgrade, would 1080p output still be available?

Pck1977

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2012
He didn't ask if he could put ios on his atv. He asked if he could downgrade in order to jailbreak. Please read the questions before answering redneck. Bil2k I am researching this as well. Please let me know if you find any good info. I will too.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
He didn't ask if he could put ios on his atv. He asked if he could downgrade in order to jailbreak. Please read the questions before answering redneck. Bil2k I am researching this as well. Please let me know if you find any good info. I will too.

the software on the appletv IS iOS.
the answer to the question is no, as there is no previous version of iOS for the AppleTV3, thus no version exists that can be jailbroken.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

replace "Download" with "Downgrade" on his reply and it will make sense (we all make mistake from time to time).

and he is 100% right you cannot downgrade ATV3 to anything before it was shipped, since there is not support for it, same as you can't downgrade 4S to anything before iOS5, or you can't the iphone 4 before iOS 4..and so on.

Even in the case that iOS4 somehow by devine intervention had support for the A5 single core and other new hardware on the ATV3, you would had to have your SHSH saved for that device, since it was release after apple already had stop signing 4.4.4, it is not even remotely possible

chris650

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
replace "Download" with "Downgrade" on his reply and it will make sense (we all make mistake from time to time).

and he is 100% right you cannot downgrade ATV3 to anything before it was shipped, since there is not support for it, same as you can't downgrade 4S to anything before iOS5, or you can't the iphone 4 before iOS 4..and so on.

Even in the case that iOS4 somehow by devine intervention had support for the A5 single core and other new hardware on the ATV3, you would had to have your SHSH saved for that device, since it was release after apple already had stop signing 4.4.4, it is not even remotely possible

I haev updated my software on avt2. can i downgrade to get jailbreak?

Redneck-Randy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2012

WELL excuse me for a miss spell AH. Instead of download I should have used downgrade.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Is it possible to downgrade the latest AppleTV 3 iOS to jailbreak it? I just got an ATV3 and I'm eager to pop XBMC or Plex on it to play MKV files without the need to convert.

Which leads me to my next question... if it is possible to downgrade, would 1080p output still be available?

The latest IOS is what has the support for the system hardware to play 1080. Even if you could downgrade to 4.4.4 which was the previous, it wouldn't support the hardware. Good rule of thumb is than an Apple device won't support a version of software than what is older than shipped on the device, and that's certainly the case here.

pheenix11

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Apple is not signing versions 4.4.4 or 4.4.3 anymore as well. You should see the hoops one has to jump through now to jailbreak 4.4.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.