Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Past year, I've noticed Apple starting to quietly downgrade/decrease some components on NEW products. Some people would say, oh its no big deal. I get it, general average consumer do not care and don't even understand the technology itself. However, it is still form of misleading customer and as a tech and Apple enthusiastic I find it quite disturbing and odd.
Since when you buying new product/technology, you expect the same features/components as last gen or better, NOT worse.

Some examples to point out:
  • Recent smaller heatsing on new MBP (supply chain issues)
  • Slower SSD speeds due to fewer NAND chips on MBA M2, Mac Mini and 13-inch MBP
  • Apple Watch series 7 chip S7 (confirmed it has same chipset number as S6 - same chip/different name)
  • New HomePod wifi 4, less mics (we can argue that its a new product and not to be compared with old version)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find it quite disturbing and odd.
Since when you buying new product/technology, you expect the same features/components as last gen or better, NOT worse.
This sort of reminds me of Disney. Last year before he was deposed, the CEO of Disney said he'll continue to raise prices at the parks because people were willing to pay the prices.

source
The hike follows Chapek's hint that prices will continue to increase with high demand from Disney lovers during an August earnings call.

Bottom line, people vote with their pocketbook. If people choose apple over the competition regardless of apple cutting corners. Why would they stop?

Slower SSD speeds due to fewer NAND chips on MBA M2, Mac Mini and 13-inch MBP
I believe Apple put the slower SSD in the 256GB MBA, but then put a slower one in the 256 and 512GB SSDs for the MBP. I believe this includes the 14 and 16MBP, not just the 13" MBP. I don't think they un-updated 13" MBP was effected but I could be wrong.

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Let us not forget that the world's shortage on chips creates delivery times for a new car up to a year. And that covid made a mess on the worlds suppy chains. And that we get a lot of this stuff from China where covid still is a major issue. So re-use of components may be the only possible option (besides not making new and "exiting" models all the time).

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Let us not forget that the world's shortage on chips creates delivery times for a new car up to a year. And that covid made a mess on the worlds suppy chains. And that we get a lot of this stuff from China where covid still is a major issue. So re-use of components may be the only possible option (besides not making new and "exiting" models all the time).
I like you... you're not into conspiracy theories.

Reactions: Ethosik

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let us not forget that the world's shortage on chips creates
Yet, it seems every other computer maker had not needed to resort to such tactics regarding the SSDs That also doesn't explain the decision regarding the apple watch 7, nor does it cover the changes/updates to the new homepod

One can only use the supply chain excuse so many times before it rings hollow - not that apple used that excuse. They made these choices and have never addressed why. Its speculation (as is my post) as to the reason.

sajlonix

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 17.53.38.png
Also on MBP M2
which is kinda ridiculous on "Pro" device

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I have seen a general decline in every single product I have purchased. Even some food. Let's let the world stabilize before we take our pitchforks to Apple. Supply chain issues have been a real deal in the last two years. Last year I was put on a 4 month waiting list to fix a problem with my swimming pool heater. They said it would normally be just a few weeks but due to supply issues it ballooned to months. I also needed to wait an absurd amount of time for my broken window to get fixed.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yet, it seems every other computer maker had not needed to resort to such tactics regarding the SSDs That also doesn't explain the decision regarding the apple watch 7, nor does it cover the changes/updates to the new homepod

One can only use the supply chain excuse so many times before it rings hollow - not that apple used that excuse. They made these choices and have never addressed why. Its speculation (as is my post) as to the reason.
512GB $1,500 Dell laptop that my friend just got a few months ago is only roughly 1.5GB/s. NOT even 3.3GB/s as these Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.