Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
No, because when you restore, it downloads firmware from the apple server.

I thought it downloaded 1.0.0 from the server, and not the latest? That was my impression since it appears folks with hacked phones have to do a restore followed by the update. If it was downloading the newest release as part of a restore, then the update would not be necessary.

Basically, there is one base 92MB release, with 2 much smaller patch releases.

Anyone know for sure?

-steve

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
I thought it downloaded 1.0.0 from the server, and not the latest? That was my impression since it appears folks with hacked phones have to do a restore followed by the update. If it was downloading the newest release as part of a restore, then the update would not be necessary.

Basically, there is one base 92MB release, with 2 much smaller patch releases.

Anyone know for sure?

-steve

nope, each release they update the 90 meg file. You machine downloads a new file after every version update. Not, just the update.

In other words if you restored your phone under 1.01 and downloaded the 90 meg file, then 5 minutes later updated it again and 1.02 just came out you would download another 90 megs. It would be downloading 1.02.

Very freaking annoying when this happens while your at the apple store and have to wait an hour for them to download it.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Thanks for the clarification!

-steve

nope, each release they update the 90 meg file. You machine downloads a new file after every version update. Not, just the update.

In other words if you restored your phone under 1.01 and downloaded the 90 meg file, then 5 minutes later updated it again and 1.02 just came out you would download another 90 megs. It would be downloading 1.02.

Very freaking annoying when this happens while your at the apple store and have to wait an hour for them to download it.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Correct, although there are smaller updates for 1.00 to 1.01 and 1.01 o 1.02. The new 92MB update file includes the entire firmware, the smaller (3MB or so) only includes the updates. People with modded phones have to download the big file because when you do a restore, it restores the whole firmware.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
You might check VersionTracker, which sometimes maintains previous versions of the software. Not sure if Apple iPhone updates are being maintained in this way, as other app's are on VT, but worth a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.