Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anshul20171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
I have bought a new iphone 7 which comes with ios 11 out the box and its causing issues on my phone.
so I looked up on the internet and found that apple is still signing ios 10.3.3 for iphone 7.
SO my Question is Can I downgrade to ios 10.3.3 from Itunes now?

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I have bought a new iphone 7 which comes with ios 11 out the box and its causing issues on my phone.
so I looked up on the internet and found that apple is still signing ios 10.3.3 for iphone 7.

Yes.

Reactions: anshul20171

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
You can for sure as long as apple is signing it. FYI if you have a backup done on iOS11, you won’t be able to restore that backup on iOS10. Good luck.

anshul20171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
You can for sure as long as apple is signing it. FYI if you have a backup done on iOS11, you won’t be able to restore that backup on iOS10. Good luck.
I have a backup on ios 9.3.3
Would i able to restore that?
And thanks for the answer.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
are you sure?
Thanks for the answer.
Appreciate it.

Yes, downgraded my Air 2 yesterday.
[doublepost=1506767122][/doublepost]
I have a backup on ios 9.3.3
Would i able to restore that?
And thanks for the answer.

Do you mean 10.3.3? That would be yes. iOS 9 backup should work, too. You need to have *archived* the backup from the prior iOS version in order for that to work, otherwise the old backup was probably overwritten by iTunes.

anshul20171

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Yes, downgraded my Air 2 yesterday.
[doublepost=1506767122][/doublepost]

Do you mean 10.3.3? That would be yes. iOS 9 backup should work, too. You need to have *archived* the backup from the prior iOS version in order for that to work, otherwise the old backup was probably overwritten by iTunes.
I backed up a few days ago
That will work right?
And did you select update option or restore option in iTunes?

Last edited:

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
I backed up a few days ago
That will work right?
And did you select update option or restore option in iTunes?
I think you’ll want to choose update; hopefully someone can corroborate that for me. Choosing restore will wipe your device, which is a huge pain unless that doesn’t matter.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think you’ll want to choose update; hopefully someone can corroborate that for me. Choosing restore will wipe your device, which is a huge pain unless that doesn’t matter.
Update works from like 11.1 to 11.0.1, but you need to restore from iOS 11 to 10.x.

But the fact that the iPhone came with iOS 11 leads a part of me to wonder if you could downgrade, even though the .ipsw is available.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
What issues? iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus is perfectly fine. A few bugs here and there but nothing major.

Last edited by a moderator:

witherwings

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
London
Yes, downgraded my iPad Pro 9.7" from 11.0.1 to 10.3.3. The only problem that I didn't backup my iOS 10 files so the iOS 11 backup was not compatible with iOS 10. Had to "Set up as new iPad".

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Ha ha...following the directions on a well-known Mac site (not this one), I did Option+Update. Did not work...twice. I then tried Option+Restore, and that worked like a charm. Took quite a while. Wiping it didn't really matter, since I had a very current archived backup.
[doublepost=1506788492][/doublepost]
Update works from like 11.1 to 11.0.1, but you need to restore from iOS 11 to 10.x.

But the fact that the iPhone came with iOS 11 leads a part of me to wonder if you could downgrade, even though the .ipsw is available.

I would *guess* it would work, since the hardware was originally shipped with 10. No guarantee though...would be interested to hear how this works for the OP.

Reactions: nilk

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Ha ha...following the directions on a well-known Mac site (not this one), I did Option+Update. Did not work...twice. I then tried Option+Restore, and that worked like a charm. Took quite a while. Wiping it didn't really matter, since I had a very current archived backup.

Thanks, Option+Restore did it for me on my 6S as well.

I'm giving my 6S to my wife (she has a 6 on 10.3.3), and wanted to have her experience the faster phone on 10.3.3 without any of the bugginess/changes of 11 (though 11.0.1 was pretty good on the 6S). So a full restore is what I wanted to do anyway, and I also followed directions that were wrong. With Option+Update I'd get the error "the iphone could not be updated unknown error 6". I also did it twice before I went searching here and found this thread :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks, Option+Restore did it for me on my 6S as well.

I'm giving my 6S to my wife (she has a 6 on 10.3.3), and wanted to have her experience the faster phone on 10.3.3 without any of the bugginess/changes of 11 (though 11.0.1 was pretty good on the 6S). So a full restore is what I wanted to do anyway, and I also followed directions that were wrong. With Option+Update I'd get the error "the iphone could not be updated unknown error 6". I also did it twice before I went searching here and found this thread :)

That was exactly what happened to me. Glad it worked for you.

Reactions: nilk

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013

It works, any device can install any iOS version as long as it’s being signed for that device.

LA_LEE

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2017
Los Angeles
What issues? iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus is perfectly fine. A few bugs here and there but nothing major.

Good for you...however don’t pretend to be unclear about “what issues” as you can plainly see the plethora of issues with this pathetic not ready for prime time release.

If you want to feel superior don’t post about it...just go stare at yourself in the mirror because you are not impressing anyone except yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.