Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Hello all,

I am generally good at things like this but I have had the utmost trouble attempting to downgrade my iPad 2 from the horribly sluggish iOS 9x-whatever back to the what I remember to be incredibly smooth and impressive iOS 6.

I have gone through numerous tutorials, via redsn0w and other jailbreaking-esk software alike with no avail.

My problem always begins when I need to provide some form of 4x version for my iPad (blob?) after giving an iOS 6.1.3 IPSW, which I am guessing does not exist, as I haven't been able to find anything of the sort.

My specific iPad version is labeled as 'iPad2,4', or 'iPad 2 New'.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Running this slowly, my iPad is basically a paperweight.

I'd be perfectly fine running any version of iOS prior to iOS 7, and don't get me wrong, I love each new version of iOS more than the last, but I'd just really love to have iOS 6 on this one again.

Thanks,

-Hunter

Last edited:

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
I managed to do the downgrade in my 4S with beehind.
about which ios version is your ipad ? It has the jailbreak ?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hello all,

I am generally good at things like this but I have had the utmost trouble attempting to downgrade my iPad 2 from the horribly sluggish iOS 9x-whatever back to the what I remember to be incredibly smooth and impressive iOS 6.
If your iPad is not jailbroken now, you cannot downgrade it.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Hello all,

I have gone through numerous tutorials, via redsn0w and other jailbreaking-esk software alike with no avail.

My problem always begins when I need to provide some form of 4x version for my iPad (blob?) after giving an iOS 6.1.3 IPSW, which I am guessing does not exist, as I haven't been able to find anything of the sort.

My specific iPad version is labeled as 'iPad2,4', or 'iPad 2 New'.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Running this slowly, my iPad is basically a paperweight.

I'd be perfectly fine running any version of iOS prior to iOS 7, and don't get me wrong, I love each new version of iOS more than the last, but I'd just really love to have iOS 6 on this one again.

Thanks,

-Hunter

sorry but your stuck on IOS 9 has you cant downgrade back too IOS 6 there nothing we or apple can do about it the only thing i can think of doing is trying too find a uesd ipad 2 with IOS 6.1.4 install on it off of ebay or upgrade too ipad pro 9.7" other then that you are stuck

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Only advice to give you is to erase and restore as a new device. That will give you the best chance of performance.

Why did you install later versions of iOS on it? Had you kept it on iOS 6 or 7, most apps would have been fine.

Happily using my ipad2 on 7.1.2...next time, use better judgement!

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wrong.

But FaceTime would have been broken from what I understand.

My friend had an iPhone 4 on iOS6 and he said most apps would not update and there were many he could not get because they needed a newer version.

Do you have a source that lists such comparabilities?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
My friend had an iPhone 4 on iOS6 and he said most apps would not update and there were many he could not get because they needed a newer version.

Do you have a source that lists such comparabilities?

The trick is adding the apps that you need (or may want to use in near future) before the developer upgrades it to the point where the particular iOS you're on, is no longer supported.

I'll give you an example: Iheartradio

Never had an interest in this until later on...you now need ios8 or later to run it. Had I installed it when ios7 were still supported, I'd be fine now.

Of course, there is sometimes no way of knowing beforehand what you might run 6 months from now, but I think you get my drift.

I'm faced with that looming possibility for my 6s - JB on 9.0.2

I've tons of storage so if I wanted to stockpile apps when there comes a time when ios9 is no longer supported, I can do that if I wish. Crazy as it might sound.

There was a sundry app that someone mentioned in passing in a thread that now requires 9.2...obviously I can't load it now unless.

It can be a double-edged sword this matter of staying on a particular iOS version. Certainly requires a bit of planning.

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The trick is adding the apps that you need (or may want to use in near future) before the developer upgrades it to the point where the particular iOS you're on, is no longer supported.

I'll give you an example: Iheartradio

Never had an interest in this until later on...you now need ios8 or later to run it. Had I installed it when ios7 were still supported, I'd be fine now.

Of course, there is sometimes no way of knowing beforehand what you might run 6 months from now, but I think you get my drift.

I'm faced with that looming possibility for my 6s - JB on 9.0.2

I've tons of storage so if I wanted to stockpile apps when there comes a time when ios9 is no longer supported, I can do that if I wish. Crazy as it might sound.

There was a sundry app that someone mentioned in passing in a thread that now requires 9.2...obviously I can't load it now unless.

It can be a double-edged sword this matter of staying on a particular iOS version. Certainly requires a bit of planning.

Makes sense but seems like too much work to hold onto a 5 year old device.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

The blob is unique to each iOS device, and you needed to save it at the time the iOS version you want to downgrade to was current. So if you didn't save it way back when, there's no way to downgrade your iPad. Sorry.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
I might be wrong but I believe you can't downgrade an iPad 2,4 even if you were on a jailbroken firmware.
It only works on iPad 2,1 ; 2,2 and 2,3.

Reactions: HunterCupp

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I got my 4S back to iOS 6 and it now runs beautifully.

The first thing you need to be able to do is to jailbreak. If you can't do that, then the rest is futile.

I'm not sure that you can do a jailbreak if you're on the latest version of iOS 9.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If there was a way to go from 7.1.2 to ios6...I would. Actually, there is supposedly a way...but the steps don't fill me with great confidence (at the risk of bricking the iPad).

Of late, VLC is crashing about 1/2 the time on my ipad2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.