Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
There seems to be so much conflicting information when I do a search regarding downgrading a 2G iPod Touch from 4.x to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3

Some say you can't downgrade to either, others say you can if you edit the hosts file.

What is the truth?

I desperately want to downgrade at the moment, my iPod is grinding to a halt on 4.1 right now and I think it's stuck in DFU mode anyway (I think?)

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
There seems to be so much conflicting information when I do a search regarding downgrading a 2G iPod Touch from 4.x to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3

Some say you can't downgrade to either, others say you can if you edit the hosts file.

What is the truth?

I desperately want to downgrade at the moment, my iPod is grinding to a halt on 4.1 right now and I think it's stuck in DFU mode anyway (I think?)

Try http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

This forum has many good sites
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1007261/

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
No, I've already got the firmwares - that's not the problem.

When I do try downgrading I get the error message "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

So I'm just not sure what to do. Please help someone

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No, I've already got the firmwares - that's not the problem.

When I do try downgrading I get the error message "This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

So I'm just not sure what to do. Please help someone

In order to downgrade, you need to have saved your SHSH.

If you are asking "what is SHSH?" then it's too late, you can't downgrade.

The information you are coming across about editing hosts files applies only to people who have saved their SHSH.

Basically, SHSH is the "key" that allows you to install specific firmware on a particular device. Apple only gives out SHSH for the most current firmware, which is why when you try to restore to an older firmware, you get the "device isn't eligible" error. If you had the SHSH saved, you edit the host file so iTunes sees the SHSH you have saved, which allows you to restore to any firmware for which you have SHSH. As I said, SHSH is device specific, so you can't "borrow" someone else's SHSH to downgrade. And once Apple stops issuing them, there's absolutely no way to get it. So the only firmware you can install is the current one, which is 4.3.3. You can't even restore to 4.1.

For future reference, google "tinyumbrella," download it, and make a habit of saving all SHSH for all firmware.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Oh ****!

Ok, won't these SHSH (blobs?) be saved on my computer somewhere from when I used Cydia to jalibreak or whatever?

Thanks for your help.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Oh ****!

Ok, won't these SHSH (blobs?) be saved on my computer somewhere from when I used Cydia to jalibreak or whatever?

Jailbreaking doesn't automatically save your SHSH, but Cydia does have a "save SHSH" button you may have pressed without realizing what it does. If you did, your SHSH would be saved on Cydia's server, and you can download them using TinyUmbrella. TinyUmbrella also changes your host file so you can downgrade. Just download it and see what it tells you.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I know I didn't press the button, I try not to press anything I don't know incase it messes it up.

Guess it's not really a priority for jail breakers to try and fix either is it? So we won't see a fix at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.