Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsreakk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Hello everybody,

I've been doing some tests on an iPhone 8Plus of few things I needed/wanted to test on iOS 12 and don't need to be on the beta anymore. I would like to go back to iOS 11.4 but noticed I didn't back up my iPhone before upgrading to 12 Beta (Yes, I don't know what was I thinking at the time).

Is there any way to safely downgrade to iOS11.4 without getting a space grey brick? I know someone in the past who had exactly the same issue with an iPhone 6S and had to get it replaced because of this.

Thanks

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Backup to iCloud, restore device using iTunes (it would download 11.4) during setup restore from iCloud backup. I cant remember if icloud restoration would require the beta?? If so then youll be stuck just setting up the device as new and just using your synced iCloud data. Contacts, photos etc

Reactions: itsreakk

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Backup to iCloud, restore device using iTunes (it would download 11.4) during setup restore from iCloud backup. I cant remember if icloud restoration would require the beta?? If so then youll be stuck just setting up the device as new and just using your synced iCloud data. Contacts, photos etc
iCloud will not allow you to restore an iOS 12 backup onto an iOS 11 device.

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
  • Download 11.4 IPSW-file for your specific iPhone model.
  • Connect iphone with your PC and launch iTunes.
  • Trigger DFU-mode on your iPhone:
=> at 2:22 DFU-mode is shown for your model
  • Select the 11.4 IPSW-file by holding SHIFT-button and clicking Restore-button in iTunes.
  • Set up as new iPhone since you forgot to make a backup with iOS 11.

Last edited:

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hello everybody,

I've been doing some tests on an iPhone 8Plus of few things I needed/wanted to test on iOS 12 and don't need to be on the beta anymore. I would like to go back to iOS 11.4 but noticed I didn't back up my iPhone before upgrading to 12 Beta (Yes, I don't know what was I thinking at the time).

Is there any way to safely downgrade to iOS11.4 without getting a space grey brick? I know someone in the past who had exactly the same issue with an iPhone 6S and had to get it replaced because of this.

Thanks

Simple search nets results. This is asked literally every week (as that is how often betas are released).....

You’ve been a member here for over 2yrs....

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
As suggested, you can downgrade using iTunes update IPSW method for 11.4 betas or use recovery mode to latest release. Heads up though, some app icons may be blank or crashes unless you delete and re-install them and you’ll need to turn on all app notification manually

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Truth be told: as we move more of our data into the cloud, the archived backup thing is becoming less and less necessary. You can always move back without bricking your phone; its just that you'd like to have your data there waiting for you when you do (at least the data that was on your phone when you should have backed up before installing the beta! ;)). But with iMessages in the cloud and mail and much other daily data existing off the phone, when you go back, even without a backup, you'll find things pretty much just as you'd left them.

There are some notable exceptions, though, prime among them, i think, your Apple Watch workout data and health stats. Those need to be restored via an archived encrypted backup. There may be other things as well. But, as we move through the beta process, even having those things backed up will become less useful as you will, in any event, lose the delta data - i.e., the data you've accumulated on iOS 12. By mid-August, you may have 2 months of iOS 12 derived data that will go bye-bye if you restore back to 11.4 (though you might be able to keep it by archiving an iOS 12 backup and restoring to it after final release in September). Its a regular time-traveler's paradox!

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Think of this as a great opportunity for a fresh start.

All those dozens of apps you never use? You don't have to reinstall them. All that cruft built up over the years? Gone.

It sucks, but at least you can look at the positive side. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.