Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Alright, here's the question: I've got a file that's 900 bytes, but shows up as 4 kb due to the blocks in the file system (or something along those lines that I read a really long time ago). So while the actual file only takes up 900 bytes, it's a 4 kb file. Two of these together make 8 kb, and so on and so forth (I don't really need to tell you that). Well, I'm curious if when someone downloads that file (perhaps as a graphic in my CSS), are they downloading 900 bytes or are they downloading 4 kb?

If they're downloading 4 kb anyway, then if I can make that file a little bit bigger in size or quality that'd make sense, since it won't cost me or the user anything. If someone knows what's going on here, I'd really be grateful for an explanation. Thanks in advance!
-Chase

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
They're downloading only the actual number of bytes (900 bytes)

The 4 K is an artifact of the hard disk formatting system, it's a 900 byte file in a 4096 byte pigeon-hole.

So 900 bytes will be transmitted, and what it occupies on the destination machine depends on the block size of that particular machine.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
CanadaRAM said:
They're downloading only the actual number of bytes (900 bytes)

The 4 K is an artifact of the hard disk formatting system, it's a 900 byte file in a 4096 byte pigeon-hole.

So 900 bytes will be transmitted, and what it occupies on the destination machine depends on the block size of that particular machine.

good answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.